How long should a cycle helmet last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
The manager of my local Edinburgh Cycle shop in Aberdeen told me that you should bin your cycle helmet after 5 years...Is he correct? Mine one is about 6 years old and has never had a bash of any kind..Should i be investing in a new one?

I've had mine for over 5 years, and TBH the outer shell is starting to seperate from the inner padding, (very slightly). Must be all the sweat when I'm dancing up the hills :tongue:
It's on my to do list to replace it, but I don't consider it a priority ATM as I need some new pedals :whistle:
For fear of starting helmet wars version IIV a quck Google threw up this site; http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm
I've no idea of the validity of any of the info contained therein, but it you find it's bollocks I just typed "when should you replace cycling helmet" in Google :thumbsup:

It varies with use, and with lots of variables both in level of use and exposure to sunlight (some evidence suggest that polystyrene deteriorates in sunlight)

The BHSI is an American organisation. It is "pro helmet" but is not afraid to tackle the issues and recognise the limitations and problems.

Read this article - it is worthwhile to spend a few minutes reading this and the content is enlightening.

Only MET have tested older helmets and suggest 8 years, but Bell suggests 3, without performing any testing!

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Veteran
Well Edinburgh Bike have a sale this weekend, so it might be a good opportunity to get one!

I just bought a bike from them for my son on Saturday..thats when the manager noticed the age of my boys lid..missed a trick there..should've asked if he'd throw in a free one.

RaRa

My OH just bought a new helmet after falling off and snapping his old one in half. I just checked and on the box it says that they recommend you replace them after 2 - 3 years. I'm inclined to think thats a bit excessive.

What about those of us who ride fast enough to build up a sweat?

If i push down on my helmet after 10 miles on a 20c day its like squeezing a lemon, and to be honest i wonder
if that much salty sweat can affect the materials used in the helmet?

(The handlebar clamp bolts on all three bikes have been affected by my "drips" ... they've all gone rusty!!)

oldroadman

Veteran
It varies with use, and with lots of variables both in level of use and exposure to sunlight (some evidence suggest that polystyrene deteriorates in sunlight)

The BHSI is an American organisation. It is "pro helmet" but is not afraid to tackle the issues and recognise the limitations and problems.

Read this article - it is worthwhile to spend a few minutes reading this and the content is enlightening.

Only MET have tested older helmets and suggest 8 years, but Bell suggests 3, without performing any testing!

Bell introduced the helmet to cycling when their motorcycle helmet sales were in a bit of a decline. Have a product, and cycling is so "dangerous" it was successfully marketed. The replacement periods is when you crash or it starts to separate. Anything else is just marketing hype.
Then again, if you simply don't ever wear one, then that's money saved every few years. A matter of choice, and always bearing in mind they are not much use in any impact over about 2kph, unless it's a glancing blow.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It should last until you pass the nearest bin. ^_^

I have cycling helmets in my shed I have had for years and have never thought about the shelf like of a helmet. That goes for my motorcycle helmets, which are even more important.

I will have to do some research.

Steve

Top Bottom