How long to restart cycling after Op ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TallBrian

I recently (last week) had Keyhole surgery for a hernia repair in the groin. I have been told that I can't restart cycling for a few months ! Has anybody had similar experience of this and can put my mind at ease that I can do more than just look at the bike for the coming weeks !!!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Few months sounds rather a long time. I had bilateral hernia repairs - open surgery - and it was more like a few weeks - basically once it didn't hurt too much! The advice was that the pain would stop me before damage would be done.

carpiste

Guru
Who told you that you couldn`t start cycling for a few months? If it`s the doctor I`d say stop cycling for a few months,simple.
If it`s just some guy down the pub then go to your doctor and ask his/her advice.
At the end of the day it`s no good asking advice on here,unless you`re lucky enough to have a biking doctor answer.Doctors are only going to give you good advice based on knowledge and training.On here you`ll only get advice,although well meant, by bikers who are going off their experiences and not from a sound medical knowledge or in fact a knowledge of your specific problem.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
carpiste - (+1) - Please note that I am NOT offering advice, just reporting my own, personal, experience.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was on an the turbo just spinning my legs at 3 days out on the road at 2 weeks and racing again at 6 weeks. I had mine done at The British Hernia clinic 17 years ago and they had walking out of the surgery after 2 hours and shopping with the wife the next day.

As disclaimer talk to the surgeon and hope he likes excercise,some do not.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not a hernia, but I've been told I can cycle as soon as I want after my shoulder operation - although he was smiling as I believe I will be off work for a month. The consultant said as soon as you are comfortable.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
ask specifically, and point out that you are a competent cyclist who won't fall off at the drop of a hat.

when i broke my collarbone ligament last year the consultant told me to not ride for two months. after that, he said another two months, at which point i said that i had more to lose through inactivity and that the crash i suffered was easily avoidable (riding in close formation) and that i was an experienced cyclist for whom a spill of any sort is rare. he was then happy for me to ride, but without my input, he'd have signed me off for another two months.

i got better…

ventoux50

ask specifically, and point out that you are a competent cyclist who won't fall off at the drop of a hat.

TallBrian - recovery from a hernia op has nothing to do with how competent you might be as a cyclist, or the possibility of you falling off......

The op (as you know !) involves repairing damaged muscle through which underlying anatomical structures are p-rotruding or threatening to protrude.

The repair necessarily involves cutting, stitching, wound healing and scarring - as with any invasive surgery.

Recovery involves allowing the wound healing to occur correctly, the formation of scar tissue, and subsequent stability of the wound site.

If you put too much pressure on the wound too early then you risk compromising the integrity of the wound and invite the possibility of a repeated herniation.

The sort of pressure to cause this could come from pushing the pedals round when cycling, lifting a heavy object, or straining too hard on the toilet.

so before the possibility of falling off the bike arises - you need to be sure the wound is healed externally and internally. The only way to be sure this has occurred is to wait and allow the natural healing process to take place - generally in around 7 days a wound is healed sufficiently to be strong enough to hold together under normal forces - however, if you over stress the wound at this stage you can still cause it to fail.

Imagine if you cut your hand deep enough for a scab to form . . . . after several days the scab will be hard and crusty, but if you rub it, or stretch it apart at the edges it will re-open and start to bleed again ( and you run the risk of inviting an infection )

At the end of the day - you put your trust in a qualified surgeon to repair your hernia, why then would you choose not to trust his post op advice and instead invite comments from people you've never met and run the risk of doing further damage ?

Do as the doc says - but ask specific questions re- returning to the bike etc.

Styopa

I recently (last week) had Keyhole surgery for a hernia repair in the groin. I have been told that I can't restart cycling for a few months ! Has anybody had similar experience of this and can put my mind at ease that I can do more than just look at the bike for the coming weeks !!!

Depends on a number of things - operation, age, general health etc. Assuming you are generally fit and well and have good nutrition etc I would leave it for 6-8 weeks before doing some gentle cycling and increase gradually over 12 weeks. I'm assuming you will have the wound checked. You should be ok after about 12 weeks in my opinion and assuming no complications.

screenman

Legendary Member
I presume you are having the mesh method of repair. In which case recovery times are far quicker than the old pull it over and stitch it method, I had the former operation which is why I was back on the bike quicker.

McrJ64

I had a bilatteral hernia repair on 27th September on NHS. I was walking for about 20 mins after 5 days. I was running very gently for about 10 mins in the gym after 4 weeks. I started commuting (7.5 miles flat roads on a reduced gear of 42/18) after 5 weeks and am starting to wind up the speed a bit now. I feel ok.

Tyres23

I had an op on a sensitive area in August was told 6 weeks got on being clever after 5 was ok for first 10 miles then major pain and second op next op sept and just got all clear yesterday so yes I felt ok but should have listened as I know been months

Top Bottom