How many Calories?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrVandal

I have a old Polar Heart rate monitor, it is a S120. It does not work out how many calories you burn during a session. Does anyone know of an easy calculation you could do to work out how many calories you have burnt during an exercise? So I have my weight, height, Max. HR and Average HR, time exercised. How do you work our the calories you have burnt?

Thanks

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Just throw the dam thing away and enjoy the ride

amaferanga

Veteran
All calorie counters are just educated guesses. Given the variables involved there's probably potential for an error of 50% or more even.

The only reasonably reliable way to get a calorie estimate is through using a power meter on your bike - there's only one assumption (efficiency) and the rest is actually measured. But power meters cost upwards of £600 so you'd be mad to buy one just to count calories.

FWIW if I ride as hard as I can (i.e. race type effort) for an hour I can burn over 1000 calories (based on information from a power meter).

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got a cheap, wired, bike computer from Aldi. I put in my height and weight and it gives me a readout of calories used. I doubt it is that accurate but I suppose it gives me rough idea of what I've burnt on a ride. It works out roughly 1000 per hour of fairly hard effort.

OP
OP
MrVandal

MrVandal

This http://www.dailymile.com/ can be a helpful motivator. You can log your workouts and take part in the challenges. It does work out calories (lbs and donuts too) but I only use that as a guess as there isn't anything to input except miles and time.

I have signed up, it looks great!

Top Bottom