How many different ways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ceedee

Just wondering how many different routes people have to get to work? I have four different routes (altought one is the M62 which I have n't tried yet) the other range from 4.2 miles to 6.3 miles and it depends how I feel to which route I use.

I've got two main routes on road (3.5mls) and off road (4.5mls), although I've various options for these.

Hugo15

Über Member
Just the one at the moment. I am hoping to discover some new routes as I suspect the same route day after day will become a bit tedious.

OP
OP
C

Ceedee

Hugo15 said:
Just the one at the moment. I am hoping to discover some new routes as I suspect the same route day after day will become a bit tedious.

I know what you mean, one of my routes is part of the Kirklees boundry route which is set on quiet roads, which is nice.

Johnny Thin

I've got five or six, from Stourbridge to Redditch. All dual-carriageway - which effectively means going through Bromsgrove, the fastest if I'm late in the morning. Or I can go via M5 - M42 junction and take the B-road to Redditch. Or I can turn off towards Clent when I've gone past the Bham Rd junction and follow country lanes all the way; on the way back I can extend the lanes even further by detouring in Clent towards Kinver and eventually back on the main Norton-Kidderminster road. Or course no prizes for guessing which route I usually take on the way back now the days are longer ...

These are the direct routes, but I can also do a wider loop either by taking the unclassified road which joins the Feckenham - Droitwich/Bromsgrove B road at the Hanley craft centre, or do the whole Feckenham loop. These are good fast roads but with plenty of downhills and bends.

Distances range from 17.5 to 25 miles or more.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have 1 main route but can add extra bits in depending on time / weather etc

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Loads - but then my work moves around the city. However I'm whenever I'm at a particular location I will usually experiment with the route ... either looking at a map before hand or exploring a possible short cut. As some of my work colleages know I do occasionally turn up later than expected if I was a little lost, but they also know that I know little diversions that are quieter/nicer/avoid some horrible junction etc. They let me do the experimenting and then copy me if its a good alternative.

doyler78

As I live out towards the country I have as a many back roads to vary my route as my time and imagination will allow me. At this time of year though it's not about exploring, its about getting home asap. Once the weather improves ie less wind and not so cold, then I will start to change the route again. Keeps the whole experience of commuting fresh. Direct is 14 miles however I can vary the route home up to about 35 miles.

PBancroft

Johnny Thin said:
Distances range from 17.5 to 25 miles or more.

Cor. That puts my 11.5 miles to shame. Do you do that every day?

I have one main way in to work, but I tend to vary the way home depending on how energetic I feel!

Having said that, I'm about to try a different way into work this morning as I have a late start today.

Plax

Guru
I have one main route into work. I deviate slightly - if I'm late I stick to the road round the "tunnel bends" as they're called, otherwise I'll go along the lake.
On the way home I take a slightly different route in that I cycle up the road a few hundred yards extra and take a different side road. That way the last leg is on a straight, otherwise I'll be peddling up a steep hill & turn a corner then I'm home. This way I can "cool down" a bit better.

Lots of alternative routes I can take to extend if necessary - I could cycle in the wrong direction through a few villages then come back on myself along the main road. I'm tempted to do that in the summer.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, if I drive in I have one main way, the train makes a second, and I always seem to cycle the shortest way. That's three.
But I have any number of ways back on the bike, depending how dark it's getting. Maybe a dozen or more.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Plax said:
I have one main route into work. I deviate slightly - if I'm late I stick to the road round the "tunnel bends" as they're called, otherwise I'll go along the lake.
On the way home I take a slightly different route in that I cycle up the road a few hundred yards extra and take a different side road. That way the last leg is on a straight, otherwise I'll be peddling up a steep hill & turn a corner then I'm home. This way I can "cool down" a bit better.

Lots of alternative routes I can take to extend if necessary - I could cycle in the wrong direction through a few villages then come back on myself along the main road. I'm tempted to do that in the summer.

The tunnel bends on the A65 ??

Plax

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
The tunnel bends on the A65 ??

LOL bit too far for me that. For some reason they call the A4086 into Llanberis from Caernafon end the Tunnel Bends.
Here is a total d*ck head on you tube driving them (found it when I was googling for why they are called the Tunnel Bends)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSPRDcw82I&mode=related&search
=
He is probably one of the many noobs that has crashed into the wall.

Johnny Thin

Kaipaith said:
Cor. That puts my 11.5 miles to shame. Do you do that every day?

No - usually 3x per week. I can get lifts otherwise using my folder to hop around, I also stop over at the office regularly to catch up on work.

Though I do an additional 115 mile round trip every 3 weeks as well.

Top Bottom