How many overtakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
How many vehicles overtake you whilst out on your commute? Tonight, 47 passed me (footage from camera).

These overtakes are where vehicles overtake you whilst travelling in the same direction as you.

I also overtook 2 cyclists (very rare for my area, even more at 7.45).

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I have no idea! Probably hundreds. The ones I remember are where it's the opposite way around - me nonchalantly breezing past mile after mile of cars stuck in a traffic jam.
cool.gif

Thomk

Guru
Don't know. But in about 450 miles of cycling I've only been overtaken 4 or 5 times by cyclists and have overtaken about the same number (not counting children under 5). Warwickshire - cyclist free zone :cry:

On my eight mile commute through south London it's very few and occasionally none. More and more of the roads are 20mph limits and those that aren't are generally congested. It's the cars that slow me down.

Defy78

Can't say I've ever counted, generally I would say few cars overtake but what I do notice is I generally keep up with (if not pass and leave for dead) most of the cars that overtake me. Of course this is becuase of traffic lights and jams caused by too many cars not because I am lightening quick ;o)

Therefore, does it count if you end up overtaking them again? Doesn't that cancel out the intial overtake???

Sara_H

Guru
Loads! And usually one or two cyclists pass me as well.

But yesterday, I OVERTOOK another cyclist! Hurrah!

BSRU

A Human Being
If I have the time to go through 2 hours of video footage from my commute counting the cars overtaking me then I've got too much spare time on my hands.
Counting bicycles is easy, not too many on the roads, just one this morning a nice overtake on a long drag of someone on a road bike, not a scalp as I had the higher FCN by 1, as I was wearing s/s top and 3/4 Lycra longs.

Bman

Guru
Traffic was quite bad today, so I ended up filtering past more cars than overtook me (although, this is an estimate, Im not going to watch my videos and count all the passes). One junction I had to sit in a queue of cars for over 3minutes (no room to filter)! How dare they slow me down. :rolleyes:

Overtook 3 cyclists though. No cyclists overtook me. :thumbsup:

Norm

Almost relevant is that I filtered past 150 cars between junction 16 and junction 15 of the M25 last Friday - although having 100+ Japanese horses spinning my rear tyre did help. :thumbsup:

My last job had a commute just over 9 miles. The first mile or so was pretty slow traffic on a main road near Maidenhead, so few passed me, then there was a lot of quiet country roads, probably a dozen in the first 3 miles then nothing at all for 4 miles. There'd be a couple in the last few miles through Bracknell, but I'd often be passing more than passed me if the traffic was bad.

GTTTM

Loads! And usually one or two cyclists pass me as well.

But yesterday, I OVERTOOK another cyclist! Hurrah!

Well I wasn't out on a commute, just a regular cycle out on my bike and I passed a much fitter, much younger looking biker - made my day that did (especially as he'd got off to push at one point)
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom