How millennials have put a spoke in the wheels of Britain’s bicycle shops.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by NorthernDave, 12 Jan 2019.

Tags:
  1. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Last edited: 12 Jan 2019
  2. lane

lane Senior Member

Retail sector in general that is struggling not just bike shops. Companies that want to operate locally need to find a service or product people want to buy. Some have done so successfully. Try competing head on with wiggle or amazon there will be only one outcome.

3. lane

lane Senior Member

I was recently re reading a book published in the 1990s which references all the bike shops that had closed so maybe not a totally new phenomenon either.

4. Drago

Drago Soiler of Y fronts

Everything is the fault of millenials. They dont vote, dont shop, dont do whatever. Let's blame them!

5. Phil Fouracre

Phil Fouracre Senior Member

Gotta blame someone!! Wish I did know what the answer was, but, I hate to say it, every lbs I’ve ever used was absolutely bloody useless.

Truth and Milzy like this.
  6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

It isn't just cycling. Model and hobby shops, toy shops, record stores and book shops have all reduced their numbers dramatically. It isn't good and it isn't bad, but since time began technology has changed the way we live and do business. We notice it more now because the speed of progress is so much faster that it used to be.

7. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Millennials are hardly youngsters these days. Wonder what the next generation after them think? Millennials are suffering from a long gap where kids did not cycle as a normal day to day activity. Too many grew up thinking car journeys for short distances should be the norm.

Kempstonian, Truth, Nebulous and 3 others like this.
  8. Smokin Joe

Young people like to be "Cool". Cycling is not cool because middle aged people have taken it up in droves.

Bromptonaut, PMarkey and dave r like this.
  9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Cool is a middle aged word, not a word they use. Millennials are no longer young, they are a kind of "inbetweeners' generation.

Cycleops likes this.
  10. Smokin Joe

The oldest of them are only 19. The last thing I wanted to be when I was eighteen was like my old man.

Oldbloke likes this.
  11. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Depends on your definition. My understanding is that millenials are people who became adult around the Millenium.

R_nger and vickster like this.
  12. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

The millennials generation started in 1980, they’re the renamed Generation Y no?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

In their 20s to mid 30s now

13. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

That’s bollock5

The millennials shopped in places and outlets they were presented with.

Ben Hayward (whom I bought 3 bikes through) came to being when the world toddled along to a shop. The founder was Victorian by era. Wiggle et al was founded by blokes who went to school in the 1960/70’s.

It was the generation of the average cyclechat user that set up the undercutting online retailer that killed the Victorian bike shop.

It’s just evolution, but don’t blame the millennials.

robjh, Truth, PK99 and 6 others like this.
  14. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

I'm a "baby boomer" and I support the local bike shops. Bought a pair of brake blocks from our LBS 12 years ago.

15. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

I've extracted the important bit from the article.....

Many bike shops are now focusing on servicing bikes and building them from parts bought online – Brixton Cycles charges £130 to construct a full bike – rather than relying on sales. “We’ve just reduced our shopfloor size to increase the workshop – it’s nearly twice the size now,”

I would never buy a bike from a LBS, I buy them from Sports supermarkets like Decathlon. I would only buy components if I couldn't get them online. That's the reality of retailing for a lot of customers and LBS have to accept that and adapt. LBS have to sell things that can't be bought online

Smokin Joe, dave r and NorthernDave like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice