How much did your end to end cost you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I am tempted to do this...but for me it's all about the money..I need to do it CHEAP. There's a possibility I may join a ride with a back up van and throw some camping gear in there....erm...but i still have to get to LE and back from JOG with the gear...3 weeks has been suggested...seems like a long time to me...I was thinking more like 14 days ish....??

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I guess costs depends on whether you are camping (on sites or anywhere?) bunkhouses or guesthouses etc.
I'm hoping to do it in a couple of years time & planning a budget of £1500 over 2 weeks, although the few people I have spoken that have actually done it, recommend taking 3 weeks to enjoy it more :wacko: Personally I would like to do it within 2 weeks & think it would be reasonably comfortable in that timescale

old donald

Also planning to do it in a couple of years - though camping over 14-16 days. Could be a big ask in poor weather. I got caught in 6 hours of rain in Northern france 2 years ago and the prospect of packing up wet stuff and being wet all day and then sleeping in a tent (wet) wasn't much fun - so I booked into a hotel and drank 3 pints of stella and felt much better.
My normal budget for camping would be about £50 per day. Much healthier than the £90 I took to Belgium 22 years ago that lasted me 3 weeks!!

I might break the journey in the Lake District which might push up my budget.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
ok..i'm thinking train from essex to london..then across town...then train to penzance then..what..bus..ride..cab...to LE?...camping all the way up but hostels will be needed if it's pissing down...then fly back and ride home from airport.

so thats 21 nights camping...say £210...then food/drink...tain tickets...flight...chip in for petrol for van...hmm....starting to look like an expensive ride.

Alan Biles

LEJOG costs

I did it last April taking 13 days and stayed in B&B's all the way. Total cost including rail fares from Salisbury to Penzance, Wick to Inverness, Inv to Euston and Waterloo to Salisbury, plus food, beer, beer and beer was £1100 give or take a couple of quid.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
BigonaBianchi said:
I am tempted to do this...but for me it's all about the money..I need to do it CHEAP. There's a possibility I may join a ride with a back up van and throw some camping gear in there....erm...but i still have to get to LE and back from JOG with the gear...3 weeks has been suggested...seems like a long time to me...I was thinking more like 14 days ish....??

I did it on £25 quid a day including camp site fees and the odd can of beer two years ago. There are cheap rail fares - around 40 quid to/from either extremity to Leeds. Suppose you are looking at £500 plus luxuries.

Cheap sources of calories are the supermarket cafe all day breakfasts get quite a few miles out of those....

snorri

Legendary Member
BigonaBianchi said:
.3 weeks has been suggested...seems like a long time to me...I was thinking more like 14 days ish....??
You cannot expect guidance on this one.:smile: Only you can decide if you want to go hell for leather, or want to enjoy the ambience.:biggrin::smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
snorri said:
You cannot expect guidance on this one.;) Only you can decide if you want to go hell for leather, or want to enjoy the ambience.:biggrin::smile:

I'd go for the ambience. I never cut short any conversations with any of the locals that I met on my LEJOG and JOGLE rides. Equally, I could be persuaded to stop, with little difficulty, to gorge on the blackberries, raspberries and plums that I found growing by the roadside. One day I never got on the road until around 14:00 because I'd assisted a chap to drink his caravan dry of alcohol. I'd left myself then option of three weeks to do the ride in and spent sixteen or seventeen days on the road. No daily planned destinations, I stopped when I felt like it. In common with all of my tours only the start and the end points are fixed - everywhere else is optional. it drives my mate mad - he needs to know every detail of stopovers and intermediate stops with estimated times - nah not for me :wacko:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If you camp, you will be slower: extra weight to carry, and it takes time to pack up in the morning. But it will be cheaper - you can usually camp for £5 - £8, and often for nothing. (Wild camp in the Scottish hills, Forest of Dean, Exmoor etc. A green tent helps. Or find smallholdings and "dog and stick" farms and knock on the door - the worst that can happen is someone saying no).

Mrs Uncle Phil and I did this. Our biggest expense was the train fares. I think it probably cost us £300-odd each, and at least £200 of this was train fares. (Not including food, but then you have to eat anyway, right?) We had two youth hostel nights, and didn't eat out at all (although we did have one or two beers and coffees. Not many, though).

Oh, and high mileages on crap roads with camping luggage is hard on tyres, rims and spokes, especially if you're on the large side. Use your Galaxy if you camp.

Dougster

From reading this post it would seem that the biggest cost and hassle is the getting to and from the start/finish. Why not devise a circular route from your front door and cover the same distance? I know you won't be able to tell your mates that you cycled LEJOG but you can still tell them that you cycled the same distance. Just a thought.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Or, do BigonaBianchi's Place to LE to JOG to BigonaBianchi's Place.

That way, you can visit some places on the return bits that were too much of a detour to visit on the first bit.

It will take twice as long, though...

snorri

Legendary Member
BigonaBianchi said:
I'm thinking of doing this on my Bianchi..sending the camping kit ahead in a van...or is that mistake...given that I have a great and proven Galaxy..???
If you use a van, then you are a member of a team covering the route.
If you go unsupported, completion is an individual achievement.;)

Top Bottom