How much do you pay the baby sitter??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
We usually get family to help out with the kids,our neighbours daughter (15) asked if we ever needed a baby sitter she would help out. How much should i pay her for a Sat night 8pm till 1130pm??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tricky - the very rare occasion we get a baby sitter, our niece, we give her a tenner.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We have no family nearby so always rely on baby squashers - our regular girl charges £5 an hour but down there in posh Camberley could be a whole lot more, we have friends in London who pay a fortune.

Funny I was thinking about this only yesterday, when I was a young lad (back in the 70s) I used to baby sit for some friends of the family's kids and I got paid f*ck all - mind you their dad had a huge stack of girlie mags, found quite by accident of course, in his study - so I was quite happy to go over as often as they liked! B)

Mr Pig

The grand parents and a friend of my wife always sit for us so we've never had to pay one. For a whole evening anything less than ten or twenty quid though would seem rather mean.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
ive just remembered a story about baby sitters!friends of ours came home early one night to find the female baby sitter mid romp with her boyfriend on the lounge floor.they were so carried away they didnt notice the early arrival.they backed away quietly and went out For another hour to spare the blushes!!!!

gary r said:
ive just remembered a story about baby sitters!friends of ours came home early one night to find the female baby sitter mid romp with her boyfriend on the lounge floor.they were so carried away they didnt notice the early arrival.they backed away quietly and went out or another hour to spare the blushes!!!!

should have just sat on the sofa and seen what happened B)

perhaps not.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I wouldnt trust many as I used to 'visit' many a girlfriend when they were babysitting! we would never listen for the kids that much.

The wife's parents live up the road but they dont have the youngest much, so we have to plan nights out around when my folks have them.

I think £20 a night 8-11 ish was the going rate 15 years ago, so dont be too mean.

Kovu

Über Member
I'm lucky if I get 20 for a whole night ...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Our Nursery staff charge at £8 an hour IIRC (not that we've used them, MIL does it for free on the very rare occasions we need one). However, they are qualified in childcare and First Aid etc.... which I suspect your 15 year old person isn't. I'd say somewhere about the £15 mark would be welcomed by them for about 3 hours 'work' watching your TV and eating your food. :smile::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh...wake up call here .....£15............- niece was well chuffed, but TBH we were not out quite as long as her mum picked her up (my wife's sister) - and I fix the blooming computer for free......

I've had my sister round a few times, she's single, she had night off clubbing, and has been an unemployed lawyer for almost 12 months (just got a job) - but I did give her a bottle of quality wine, and gave her cash for a take away.... cost me a bomb, but hey, the kids enjoyed spending time with auntie, and it was a free tea and nice wine for her.......

We get about..oh....two or three nights out a year...... great eh.... ah well......

Dave5N said:
Never had one. My kids. Why would I want to go out and leave a poorly-paid, unqualified teenager responsible for them?

I could do all that for free.

can see your point.

the kids i babysit for on my own are often slightly older and just need someone 'just in case' as the youngest is now 7. its more making sure they're in bed on time. but i am 25 and so apparently responsible!

my fiancee is about four months off qualifying as a pediatric nurse so people seem quite happy leaving us looking after their kids.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its bliss now that I consider my eldest one is old enough to look after the other two. And we usually buy a DVD, get in pizza etc for them so they see it as a good night too.

Top Bottom