How much easier is it to Climb hills with Road bike than MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

I have an MTB which I bought about 9 or 10 years ago (was worth about £160 when new- so it's pretty crap compared to what the rest of you got)
Its 14.5kg ''light'', I have recently upgraded tyres to low rolling resistance schwalbe hurricanes and it made a really good difference as to how fast I can get it to roll+ I managed to shed 550grams just from upgrading the tyres :biggrin:

I still like the bike very much ,it's the perfect fit for me and all that,or I just haven't tried anything else in my life so I don't know what a better bike feels :laugh: But when there are some incline, I just feel dead after a 1-2 minutes climbing one and have to do it standing up,sitting=no chance even on the lowest gear. + I sweat like crazy from climbing.

Now I'm just wondering if it's my shoot form/experience/stamina ( I'm 1.86m/ 77kg and fairly active so I can't really complain about anything)
Or it's just easier to do it with a better bike?
Or it's the exactly same heavy work whatever bike you have?

Those who have tried/have more than 1 type of bike what's the actual difference between each of these types of bikes when it comes to climbing up an incline?

-Crap cheapo 15kg mtb like mine
-Expensive 10kg Mtb
-Decent sub £1k 10kg Road/CX bike with good gears?

How would you describe the difference in feel/hard work between those 3 types of bikes?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I have a cheap 15kg MTB and a £1k+ 10kg road bike. On the MTB I lose the will to cycle on the road especially uphill, while the road bike is a complete joy and it motivates me to give it my best on the hills - so chalk and cheese really.

Edit: Or better to say “Horses for Courses” because the MTB is great fun off-road where clearly the road bike won’t go.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@itaa

hills are down to a lot of things like bike weight , rider fitness , weather conditions , road / track conditions etc etc

the one big advantage an mtb has over a road bike is the granny ring and that coupled to a larger first rear cog should propel you up most hill now matter how steep , ok you might be spinning legs a lot more but at least you should be able to get up a hill .

i have a ride planned this weekend to include a short steep rise along a paved path that i wouldnt attempt on one of my retro road bikes but happy to give it a try on my newly acquired Koga as that has gearing suitable for a well laden expedition bike
IMG_20171113_080200211_HDR.jpg

Jason

I have a decent £1k road bike, mid level 29er hard tail MTB, road going hybrid. the roadie and hybrid weigh in around 9kg each

The road bike is the easiest on most hills, but the steepest ones I still struggle with being a chubby chequer
29er is hard work on all roads, as it has big nobbly tyres
the road biased hybrid is almost as quick as the road bike on the flats, but much easier on the hills (any hills) as the gearing is lower like the MTB .

bike weight , rider weight is a big factor, but so is the gearing

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the hill is (relatively) easy, up to (say) 12-15%, then my road bike is much easier than my MTB because it has low enough gears, tyres that roll better, and weighs a lot less. I struggle on the seriously steep stuff though (25+%). My MTB has a seriously low bottom gear (22/32, I think?) and I can get up a couple of local hills that defeat me on the road bike more often than not ...

Example:
Mytholm Steeps - so near but so far.jpg

I was halfway up that 25% ramp when my legs gave way. I have never had to walk it on my MTB!

Drago

Legendary Member
Easier? Depends very much on whether you prefer to spin or grind.

If you're a spinner, an MTB with it's low gearing may feel better.

Grinders, like wot I is, may get on better with the slightly higher gearing and lower mass of a road bike.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Road bike 7.8kg=fastest, but a bugger on the really steep stuff due to gearing.
MTB 14 kg full suspension =slowest but will climb up a really steep technical ascent with ease.
CX bike= best of both worlds. Only 10 kg goes up climbs reasonably quickly and can deal with technical stuff as well. Gearing is low enough to spin up the steep stuff when required.
All of them get used, just depends where I am riding, but the CX would probably be the bike to take if I didn't know the area I was visiting.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They are all the same! Gearing and knowing which gear to use is the key to perceived effort. I have various bikes and climbing on any of them requires the same effort, it is just the actual speed that will differ a bit, my level of exertion remains constant across all bikes. The only time this doesn't apply is when it gets really steep, and I mean steep like climbing Winnats Pass, where the highest gear available becomes a factor and it actually gets too hard to turn the pedals even in the easiest gear.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You will adapt to your MTB. It will feel easier over time. You just needs to put the miles in.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm with Drago and Skol. Although a road bike is quicker than the MTB up most hills there are some that the gearing on my defy won't let me ride up. As opposed to my mtb which will let me ride up very step inclines due to it's gearing.

OP
OP
I

itaa

You will adapt to your MTB. It will feel easier over time. You just needs to put the miles in.
I have been commuting with it over the past year, everyday 6+6 km ,+ I don't have a car due to crazy expensive insurance so I get my groceries by a bike as well.
The ''hills'' I'm talking about are only 5-6% gradient stretched over at least 1km each.

I'm a full grown fit man who rides his bike regulary,yet I have to walk up such ''hills'' , it's a bit pathetic :sad:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have been commuting with it over the past year, everyday 6+6 km ,+ I don't have a car due to crazy expensive insurance so I get my groceries by a bike as well.
The ''hills'' I'm talking about are only 5-6% gradient stretched over at least 1km each.

I'm a full grown fit man who rides his bike regulary,yet I have to walk up such ''hills'' , it's a bit pathetic :sad:

Then it seems you are not as fit as you think. A fit cyclist would get up a 5-6% hill without needing to walk. Like I said keep at it and try not walking.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At 1.86m and 77kg your weight is fine for climbing hills, no need to be any lighter. Regarding bike weight, of course a lighter bike will be easier. But really your body shape is very good so 6kg of bike more than absolutely necessary is going to be a hindrance but not going to stop you getting up the inclines fairly easily

It's all about your fitness. There are loads of fancy plans to improve fitness. But just try riding up the hills your struggling on and convince yourself not to stop. Once you've managed to get to the top, next time try a harder hill and so on.

Top Bottom