How much for a reynolds 531

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi Guys,

Just wondering how much shoud I pay for the following Early 90s or late 80s racer.

Thompson 23" racer with Reynolds 531 frame and forks
Suntour gearing
Steel wheels with Q/R
Alloy crank, Brakes, Seat post and stem.

The paint work on the frame is ok. Some areas are tarnished and could do with a good T cut and polish to bring it back to a shine.

The guy wants £100 for it!! He reckons it is worth £150??

Deal or no deal?

Cheers,

Col

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd be thinking nearer £50.

Steel wheels are such crap you wouldn't want to ride them, especially in the wet. To get an accurate idea of the age, you need to tell us a bit more. How many sprockets are on the back wheel, are the gears indexed and what brand are the other componants?

RedBike

IMO it's worth about £50. However, you do regularly see bike like this reaching daft sums of money on the likes of ebay. Especially if they've been converted to singlespeed/fixed wheel.

If you like the bike then £100 isn't a bad price. Unless you're into retro parts you're essentially just buying the frame here. (The bits sound rather naff.)

-gf3

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

yeah thats what I thought. The frame is the only draw to this bike and my firt impression was that it was nowt special.

How much should I pay for a Reynolds 531 frame.

Col

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

Nice rebuild gbb! I am stuck between doing two things. Getting a good 531 frame to use as a base for my own build and start from scratch. Or doing up the old bike I have with new components, but I am worried that I will just be dressing up my bike. Mutton dressed as lamb springs to mind.

RedBike

How much should I pay for a Reynolds 531 frame.

531 is just the material, it all depends on what bike it is!. As restoring an old bike can be a real money pit I wouldn't want to go over the £50 mark unless it was something special.

Also worth remembering that old bikes don't always use the same size fittings as modern models do so upgrading / replacing parts can often be a complete nightmare. for example, ever tried finding 27" tyres/tubes?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Save your money, then save some more, then buy something new or recent 2nd hand...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're dead set on a steel frame I'd go On-One, or Byercycles (my LBS) does a Reynolds 520 frame and fork for £185. That's new. The Suntour bits and steel wheels on that second hand frame aren't worth anything IMHO.

Otherwise, Ribble are knocking out an alloy frame and carbon fork at £115 or so. Bargain.

Top Bottom