How much money to take on a months tour in france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Take a card and use ATM's.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
swede101 said:
I am camping and taking my own cooking set...

You've asked an impossible question to answer.

Food varies according to taste and appetite. Alcohol varies with the source: bars and cafes are more expensive than supermarkets but you can't beat a cold beer served at a bar. I made do with cartons of wine at €2 per litre with a cold pression every other day.

There are regional variations in camping prices. Coastal area camp sites are more expensive than inland sites. Site prices are roughly in proportion to their star ratings.

chris__P

really depends on you - are you wild camping or staying at campsites? will you be drinking a bottle of wine and fine cheeses, or water and pasta every night?

prices are fairly similar to in the uk, so just add up what you think you will spend in a day, times by 30 and maybe add 10% or 20%. simples.

andym

Über Member
My budget would be a bit more profligate than Brains. Say

- 10€ for campsites (but see the thread on camping costs)
- 3-5€ for a picnic lunch
- 5€ for a dinner (say a tin of ready-made stew) plus bread

Breakfast could be muesli/powder-milk mix (rehydrated) plus a cup of tea, but if like me you like to have a second breakfast allow about 3€ for coffee and croissant.

Beer IIRC a couple of euros a pop - cheaper if you buy from a supermarket, but, as Vernon says, a cold beer really hits the spot.

A while ago I did a post on prices of 'typical' food items in France if you really want to get detailed about it.

I'd allow a bit more for 'treats' - eg a hot meal in a cafe on a day when it's rainy and horrible.

hubbike

20 euro a day = very comfortable
15 euro a day = comfortable
10 euro a day = fun
5 euro a day = exciting
0 euro a day = adventure
-5 euro a day = fruit picking season

rich p

ridiculous old lush
From my research from CC members recently it's going to cost you more than the usual N France municipal camp prices if you go to the south.
If you wild camp then prices remain the same which is a curious anomaly:biggrin:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My budget for a month will be more like €100 a day for two of us. But we'll be using hotels!

Personally, I'd rather go for a shorter time, be comfortable and enjoy local food rather than scrimp and save and eat crap. A menu du jour in a local cafe need only set you back €6 to €10, so why pay €5 for tinned stew?

andym

Über Member
My compromise is to camp and use what I've saved on the hotel to buy a nice lunch or dinner.

A menu du jour in a local cafe need only set you back €6 to €10, so why pay €5 for tinned stew?

4 euros will get you a pretty decent blanquette de veau or bouef bourguignonne - there are tinned stews and tinned stews. But, I agree, a menu du jour (or menu ouvrier) in a local cafe can be much better value for money.

Ashaman42

Über Member
Regarding the Nationwide card, they've recently taken the free use abroad away from my debit card account. Worth double checking if it's the same or not for their credit card before going ahead and using it.

Top Bottom