How Much

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marvolus

Hi does anyone know the model year of this bike and how much it is worth roughly?
Hardly used, small scuffs to crossbar but otherwise in really nice condition. Upgraded with Campagnolo Xenon gears, Alex rims. Alloy frame, size 52 cms.

Many thanks:laugh:

RedBike

It looks like an older model; which is ironically probably better as they were made of 6061 by Merida back then instead of 7005. Look to see what the badge on the seat tube by the front mech says.

It's worth whatever you can get for it / willing to give.
I would say about £150,

OP
OP
M

marvolus

accountantpete said:
If it has a recent full Xenon groupset then I'd look for £200 -£230.
Hi accountantpete, I have added two extra pics are you able to tell what type of Xenon they are? Sorry bit of a newbie but slowly getting to grips with it all.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Yup - that is a newish Xenon 10 spd groupset.They retail at £200 or so. I think for an entry level bike it is a good proposition for £230 -£250 if you are buying.

The Alex wheels are not to everyones taste - heavy but solid.

OP
OP
M

marvolus

accountpete thank you. I just bought the bike £160 plus £15 p&p. I am just starting in cycling I am quite fit and I a will use it for work. Do you have advice on other equipment I need like helmet and tool kit?

Many thanks.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
That's a bit of a bargain IMHO,marvolus.

helmets are a personal thing - i don't mainly because the first ones were heavy and hot and i got into the nasty habit of not wearing one. I would imagine the majority of the peeps on here wear one.

Tool wise - The Campag setup just needs Allen keys, a screwdriver and two tools particular to campag and the groupset - namely a bottom bracket tool(for unscrewing the BB) and a cassette lockring tool(this retains the cassette).

The BB is a sealed unit(ie no maintenance required) so unless you plan to upgrade either I wouldn't bother with these two tools- your local lbs might have them anyway.

I would get yourself a spoke key - for tightening spokes - as wheels often need little tweeks to keep them true.

Other than keeping the chain/cassette clean that's about it.

Good Luck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
160 is a bargain :blush:
I have recently built a road bike using Xenon 10speed and I love it :wacko:

SD

OP
OP
M

marvolus

Hi guys I feel quite lucky now, you guys made me feel like it was well worth the money. Thanks.

I just had a ride today on road. Absolutely loved it (I feel free). I was just wondering though, when I change gears it quite loud, is this normal or do I need to get it checked out?

Also when I am riding will it be best to ride in high gears (which is when its lighter, right?) or should I keep it low?

Thanks again guys!!

simon_brooke

Campag kit usually has a good, solid click to it. If it's rattling for more than a moment when you change gear that isn't good and the derailleur needs adjustment, but a good solid click is how it should be. Xenon only went to ten speed in the last couple of years, so it's pretty recent kit.

Enjoy it!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The Xenon is the entry level and the gear changes are not as smooth as say the Campag Record groupset - i use a Mirage G/S and it's pretty much the same.

Pedalling styles differ from person to person - i'd use what style you feel comfortable in.

The bike has clips on at present - the next upgrade should be to clip-in pedals of which there is plenty to read about on the forum.

One thing I meant to say- make sure that the Bottom Bracket has been upgraded with the Xenon component - it should bear the Campagnolo name on the outside. These can be difficult to remove and frequently get "overlooked" in any upgrade.

OP
OP
M

marvolus

Yea it's just a solid click I thought this would be a problem. But sounds like that its fine. Will have to look into the clip in pedals. Are they easy to clip on and off? A little worried when I get to a red light.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
marvolus said:
Will have to look into the clip in pedals. Are they easy to clip on and off? A little worried when I get to a red light.

You will fall off!:whistle:

But don't worry - it gets easier after a couple of spills and your brain starts to instinctively react.

Top Bottom