How Much...??!!??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
A friend & I have been talking about doing a 'big' ride next year to raise money for charity. We've agreed on the 2 obvious ones LeJog or London to Paris.
We both have different charities in mind & my friend is a bit of a "what if" type of person & is imaging worst case scenarios already!
As was discussed around here previoulsy I am aganist doing cahrity events, where half the money raised go towards the cost of the person doing the event. But my friend is thinking this would be the best way to do the ride.
So i've been searching a round & found a couple of groups that arrange cahrity rides & you can choose from 2 options, the first being as just mentioned or the 2nd being you pay your own expenses then wahetever you raise can go direct to the chairty of your choice. This has kept my friend happy, no more "what if we break down" "what if we can't find somehwre to stay for the night" "what about carrying all our luggage" "What if we get sick" "what if we can't get home"
As to me doing this sort of thing is as good as a holiday, i'm more then happy to pay for myself.
But I am shocked at the cost...The cheapest I have found so far is....
LeJog is £149 registration plus £1220! L2P is £149 reg & £660!
Just under £1,300 for 13 days cycling/travel...? £800 for 6 days??

C

chillyuk

As long as people are prepared to pay these sums the organisers will continue to charge the amounts.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There is one in the next 2 weeks which is Paris to London and is much cheaper than that. Forgot which charity it is for, something about guts in motion.

OP
OP
funnymummy

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Guts in Motion for Crohns/colitis in children, £50 registration sponsership £750... All other costs are being covered by 2 other groups Squire Sanders and WP.
That sounds more reasonbale to me, but sadly not the charity i wnat to raise money for x

Bluebell72

Hi FunnyMummy,
Don't know about the L2P, but for LeJog - you could do it independently, and stay with people you know along your journey?
That would cut down on 'servicing costs' - set up a blog, facebook and twitter accounts and a 'justgiving' page so people can make donations, and contact your local paper and BBC News for some coverage.
Contact the same prior to your route so they can interview you along the way - publicity generated as well as your usual sponsors = more sponsors.

OP
OP
funnymummy

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Hi Bluebell.. TBH I was more than happy to do it independently, bit of camping, odd nights at a YH, take a few detours & stay with various friends, family in East Mids etc. And do all of the things you mentioned.
But my friend although a keen cyclist & camper (campsite camper, not touring camper) isn't keen! She has wild ideas about getting lost, not finding somewhere to camp Oh the list is endless LOL!
I am at the point were thinking I may do it all solo
:sad:

She has wild ideas about getting lost, not finding somewhere to camp Oh the list is endless LOL!

Isn't that part of the fun of it? Is she not open to the suggestion that somehow despite all her fears, lots of people do succeed every year so it can't be that difficult. The other option is to carry on your phone a list of local taxi companies to call to get whisked to safety in an emergency. You most likely won't need them but it is a security blanket that is light and easy to carry.

Chris.IOW

I am at the point were thinking I may do it all solo
:sad:

I'll come along! :smile: Really keen to do LeJog but like you was shocked at how much the organised trips wanted.

Will have to put a rack and panniers on the bike though!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Why not see if you can employ/cajole you own private back up? Someone with a car, or small van, who drives with you, (in practice, it's best to have them leapfrogging you along the route, so they are never too far away, but not driving at riding pace), carries your luggage, goes ahead at the end of the day to check out your accommodation. Either book the lot ahead, or let your helper book the next day each morning (so, not that night, but the next night, once you have some idea of how far you're managing each day), either using the internet if they have a suitable phone etc, or by calling at Tourist Info offices.

If anything goes awry, they are a phone call away to come and get you, take bikes to bike shops etc.

A friend might be prepared to do it for the charities involved, or maybe the charities would know someone, maybe you just contribute to fuel. It means one more for accommodation of course, and you have to be sure you'll all get on for the duration. They need to be fairly practical, and happy to spend all day driving - but in a fairly relaxed style.

On our first French trike trip (not a charity ride, a holiday, 8 of us), we had just such a guy. He was the son of one of the party, not a cyclist especially, just along for the craic. All the accommodation was prebooked. He set off each morning ahead of us, with our bags, shopped for our picnic lunch, stayed within a few miles of us during the day, and went and found the hotel each night ahead of us to let them know we were iminent. He was a jolly nice chap, and had a great time - he had some time waiting around for us, but just relaxed in laybys reading, or enjoying the sunshine.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think when you are looking at those costs you have to compare it with the cost of that many nights's B&B /hostel accommodation + food + petrol for a support vehicle. You might find it doesn't look at all bad.

OP
OP
funnymummy

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'll come along! :smile: Really keen to do LeJog but like you was shocked at how much the organised trips wanted.

Will have to put a rack and panniers on the bike though!!

I have a trailer - We can take turns towing it :thumbsup:

Why not see if you can employ/cajole you own private back up? S

I really don't know anyone that generous

I think when you are looking at those costs you have to compare it with the cost of that many nights's B&B /hostel accommodation + food + petrol for a support vehicle. You might find it doesn't look at all bad.

True... But I had thought we'd cycle alone, carry our own kit, camp most nights, maybe a couple YH stops & then catch the train home.. I havn't worked out exact costs yet but rough calculations put it below £500. compared to £2,600 using an orangised company -That's a BIG differnce

doog

My recent big trip from Spain to the UK cost about £220....10 nights

Flight with bike to Spain was £80
Ferry back was £40
10 nights camping was about £50 ...(municipals in France, one free night in Spain and one Wild camp).
Food was about £50 (Supermarkets - cooked my own meal each night)

I didnt do it for charity and didnt explore the charity bit, however this should give you some indications of DIY costs if you camped, plenty of cheap camp sites in the UK as well....

brockers

My recent big trip from Spain to the UK cost about £220....10 nights

Flight with bike to Spain was £80
Ferry back was £40
10 nights camping was about £50 ...(municipals in France, one free night in Spain and one Wild camp).
Food was about £50 (Supermarkets - cooked my own meal each night)

Nice one!! Shows what can be done. This is the sort of thing that appeals to me, though I reckon my wine consumption would up the expenditure a smidge!

Top Bottom