how much.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Do you actually spend on accessories, clothing etc.... to feed your addiction to cycling?
I would love to spend more but I am on a tight budget so have to be careful. I only have 3 short sleeve jerseys, 1 long sleeve, 1 pair of lycra shorts, 1 mtb and 2 road bikes with a computer on each one, 2 pair of gloves that matches jersey, 1 light rain coat and sunglasses. That' s it! No special shoes and no helmet. I am going to get cycling shoes from Aldi on Thursday though.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Some might say too much.

Bicycle

Way, way too much.

Some of my best rides ever were 30 years ago, up and over Kingston Hill from Robin Hood Gate and into the depths of Surrey: Rusty, heavy Peugeot 10-speed, cotter pins, rat cages and baggy track suit. Wrong gears, wrong brand of cigarettes at the end of my ride and wrong saddle height. But heaven!

However... there is something utterly lovely about some of the stuff that floods the market these days.

I feel slightly uncomfortable around the sort of folk who simply must have carbon-everything, but I understand why they do it.

Up to a point the cycling public is being conned into spending unnecessary amounts of cash on 150-gramme savings when we should all just eat fewer cakes and save 1500 grammes... Up to a point.

But... with so many other forms of seduction frowned upon, there is something safely antiseptic and comfortable about being seduced into buying a new top or a pair of shiny wheels.

I write this as a willing victim of retail seduction, not a grumpy observer. :rolleyes:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Do you actually spend on accessories, clothing etc.... to feed your addiction to cycling?
I would love to spend more but I am on a tight budget so have to be careful. I only have 3 short sleeve jerseys, 1 long sleeve, 1 pair of lycra shorts, 1 mtb and 2 road bikes with a computer on each one, 2 pair of gloves that matches jersey, 1 light rain coat and sunglasses. That' s it! No special shoes and no helmet. I am going to get cycling shoes from Aldi on Thursday though.

Too much, and it doesn't make any difference either way. I would suggest that shoes would help but apart from that you have everything you need. If you want to spend more you can do so, if it makes you feel happy, if it doesn't then don't . In the end it's about the riding.

Dora

Not much at all.
I think all I've bought this year has been a pair of panniers. Any cycle clothing I own has come in the form of a christmas or birthday present. (apart from the £10 cycle jersey I bought yesterday, but we're not counting that cause I only bought it cause I was soaked, and it was the only long sleeved top I could find!)

That could all change soon though, because recently, I discovered this website: Expensive, pretty things
First thing I want is that £50 bandanna! (I mean, what an absolute, total bargain!!
blink.gif
)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
More than I would otherwise.

BUT...I'm a year-round long distance commuter and the spending is justified as cycling replaces the car and gym membership that I would otherwise have bought.

Radman

Youve got a fair bit of kit but i cant believe you havent got a helmet,that i thought would of been the first piece of equipment i would of purchased. anyway you never stop buying theres always something else you need or think your do.

Rob500

Things I've bought:

Bike. Track Pump. 2 Hand Pumps. 2 Pair of shorts. 1 short sleeved shirt. Lights Front & Rear set. Helmet. Pair of gloves. Trouser clips for when I nip out to the shop etc. Puncture repair kit including levers. 3 spare tubes. Water bottle. Saddle bag. Small hand held pressure gauge.

Also have one of those little foldy-up multi allen key bicycle type tools which a mate gave me.

Night Train

Maker of Things
As little as possible.

My spending is on stuff that makes a big improvement like getting the best wheels and brakes I can build up and new cables, all else I can make do with by recycling and making parts.

Stuartaw11

Regular
I havnt spent a penny on cycling shiney stuff, I bought the bike I like, I was going to buy a carbon bottle holder because it looked nice, but the fact I don't cycle with a bottle kind of limits the need for a bottle holder, so for me I think if you want to buy stuff then good for you, im not fussed by the latest shiney set of Lycra shorts that promise to shave 4 seconds of the journey to work. But each to their own

Top Bottom