How not to retrieve a car from you harbour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aint Skeered

ATT00004.jpg

ATT00010.jpg

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Is there another pic of a bigger crane pulling them both out?
My first thought was what happened to the person operating the crane on the Merc?

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
Is there another pic of a bigger crane pulling them both out?
My first thought was what happened to the person operating the crane on the Merc?

I hope, he merely got wet and felt a bit daft.:biggrin:

Methinks someone hadn't taken account of the extra weight of water in the car, not to mention the principle of long levers...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Those trucks are very heavy but the chassis is very flexible, you can see the near side front tyre of the truck starting to lift as the chassis appears to be reaching the maximum twist.

I've watched the emergency services repeatedly trying to lift a cement mixer that had crashed on its side and hampered by the same flexing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Imagine a little Scottish village harbour. A car has gone off the edge into the water, a drop of 15-20 feet. A flat bed truck with a crane has been called and in the first pic the crane jib is horizontal, and the car lifted just clear of the water.

In the second picture, the weight of the car, the water and the effect of a long lever (the crane jib) mean that the truck has tipped over the edge of the harbour and is just about to hit the water itself...

I like the little dog looking on in the second pic!

Canrider

Guru
It must have been a fairly slow fall, as everyone standing between the crane and the water appear to have managed to get clear before it toppled.

I like the man in the red jumper in the foreground with his face in his hands.

Where did this take place, exactly?

Keith Oates

Janner
That wasn't the end of the story. I've seen this before and they then got another and bigger mobile crane which also toppled into the harbour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
Imagine a little Scottish village harbour. A car has gone off the edge into the water, a drop of 15-20 feet. A flat bed truck with a crane has been called and in the first pic the crane jib is horizontal, and the car lifted just clear of the water.

In the second picture, the weight of the car, the water and the effect of a long lever (the crane jib) mean that the truck has tipped over the edge of the harbour and is just about to hit the water itself...

I like the little dog looking on in the second pic!
You should do talking books for the blind, Arch.
Thanks for the description.

Arch

Married to Night Train
noooooo!

I take it back about a Scottish village, and apologies for the lazy sterotype, but that has to be Ireland! Did they eventually leave them all in the water and open a cafe on the resulting new island?

Cheers maz, btw, glad to be of service.

Canrider, I think the chap in red is ducking away sideways isn't he? Sort of one arm up to protect his face?

red_tom

Oh, and it was Ireland.

End of Season:
We have certainly have had our ups and downs in the village this year what with somebody falling off the village wall, thank god not killed, and then in the wee hours of Saturday morning, a car goes into the Harbour, with a young man at the wheel, the car landed upside down and if it was not for the vigilance Mary King who alerted Sean de Courcey, Sean fair play to him pulled this man out of the car, which was nearly totally submerged in the tide and pulled him to safety, what ever way you look at it, Sean saved his life, yet again another near fatal accident, and then I suppose on the slightly humorous side and to add insult to injury, a tow truck was called out to pull the car out, now get this, the truck fell in while trying to lift the car, no donít worry there was no one in it, it was remote controlled, but the machine was not heavier enough to lift the car out, therefore, a proper professional machine had to be called in, and the job was done, no loss of life, what was interesting the amount of people that came to have a look at this task you would think we had another social event going on .

http://www.roundstone-connemara.com/newssept704.htm

Top Bottom