How often to clean road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wondered how often people clean their road bikes?
Ive not taken mine anywhere really mucky yet and have been lucky avoiding the rain, so it still looks fairly clean.

Really loving my bike and i'm starting to look a different shape, so would like to treat the bike well. I resisted getting the Lidl work stand and am going to plump for another that was highly recommnded - and when it comes i'll be able to clean it properly. I'm riding outside roughly 4 times a week and have a trainer for when its really bad weather.

Thanks

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Depends on how much crud it picks up, summer time not a great deal, but this time of year I give the frame a good covering of car wax and then a polish up, which makes rinsinig the bike off much easier after every ride.

I use one of them little garden pump up pressure bottles and add some car wash n wax to it :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As often as you like. Enjoy your bike and enjoy the cleaning.
I clean my 'fancy' bike after every ride. Once a month it get's stripped down and thoroughly cleaned.

Get yourself a stand. They do make cleaning/servicing much easier.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As often as you like. Enjoy your bike and enjoy the cleaning.
I clean my 'fancy' bike after every ride. Once a month it get's stripped down and thoroughly cleaned.

Get yourself a stand. They do make cleaning/servicing much easier.
or buy a bike with a really shiny glaze on it and watch the dirt drop off!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You'd be really pleased with the effort I put into cleaning my bike this weekend Ian - I used two whole baby wipes!

2 whole babywipes? I don't believe you.
tongue.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm the other Forum clean bike obsessive. Mr Sheen is awesome (original of course). My road bikes are cleaned every ride, and commuter when it get's wet or dirty - which can be every day on a wet week !

chris-s

Every week or after a long ride, but then it's still new and hasn't been allowed out in the rain yet, tho I feel that can't last much longer.

Chris

adds21

Rider of bikes
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1285680538' post='1411969']
I think you should wash it every year.
[/quote]

...whether it needs it or not.

yello

almost with swea'pea here... twice a year.

the drive chain get's cleaned a couple of times a month, at least, on an as-and-when basis but the bike itself... sod that for a game of soldiers

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm just hoping that Ian and fossy never meet. All that polishing, all that static electricity. Could be a heck of a bang.

Top Bottom