How to deal with bike thieves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

A friend of mine just discovered someone has put a poster up on the wall near his house regarding their stolen bike. Note: Not stolen by my friend.

Sorry don't have the image on a URL, please view the attachment.

OP
OP
E

earth

User3143 said:
While having a rant is good, like that it is not. Ironic as it may seam as well the person whose bike was nicked could receive a visit from the law if he is using threatening language like that.

Saying "I'm going to kill you" is a tad risky.

Tubbs

earth said:
A friend of mine just discovered someone has put a poster up on the wall near his house regarding their stolen bike. Note: Not stolen by my friend.

Sorry don't have the image on a URL, please view the attachment.

Blimey that's a bit much. Although if I'd stolen it I'd probably return it if I saw that. ;)

Davidc

Guru
I symathise, I still feel like that about the person who stole my Holdsworth in 1974.

IMO Not very sensible to put up a poster like that though!

OP
OP
E

earth

It's true it won't get him anywhere.

The theif might decide to leave the bike outside the police station and phone in to say its there. Then write a response on the poster. If the owner goes to the police to claim the bike he would be in trouble for putting such an offensive poster up.

I admire his imagination but he has shot himself in the foot by being so aggressive.

e-rider

crappy member
I would say that it's fair enough. Probably not going to get his bike back but should help release some of that anger that you feel after having your pride and joy stolen - I know as it just happened to me and I feel pretty similar!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Whilst I appreciate that the guy is p*ssed at having his bike nicked... I'd be a extremely unamused if my 5.5 year old saw that sign as she would probably read it... and as the swear words are the largest part it's a safe bet that they'd be the focus of her attention.

It's not big, and it's not clever.

Manonabike

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Whilst I appreciate that the guy is p*ssed at having his bike nicked... I'd be a extremely unamused if my 5.5 year old saw that sign as she would probably read it... and as the swear words are the largest part it's a safe bet that they'd be the focus of her attention.

It's not big, and it's not clever.

Having raised 3 kids myself I understand where you are coming from, having said that, it's a rather silly attitude cos you cannot protect kids from reading or hearing swear words 24/7. My wife never swears and I do but very rarely - our kids don't swear either and yet I remember they would come home to ask why so and so said bla bla bla etc. Explaining why the poster has those words and why it's wrong, it's a far better way of handling the situation IMHO.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Manonabike said:
Having raised 3 kids myself I understand where you are coming from, having said that, it's a rather silly attitude cos you cannot protect kids from reading or hearing swear words 24/7. My wife never swears and I do but very rarely - our kids don't swear either and yet I remember they would come home to ask why so and so said bla bla bla etc. Explaining why the poster has those words and why it's wrong, it's a far better way of handling the situation IMHO.
Thanks for the kind words. ;)

I'm not trying to shield them from all swearing... but does it need to be pushed in their face in big, bold letters by someone who's trying to.. well, I'm not really sure what he's trying to do as we all know that that poster will do precisely nothing.

skrx

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Whilst I appreciate that the guy is p*ssed at having his bike nicked... I'd be a extremely unamused if my 5.5 year old saw that sign as she would probably read it...

*shrug* She'll know it by the end of the school year anyway. (I did, along with most of the others, and I went to a "nice" school in the countryside.)

[Isn't it a tad hypocritical to use "p*ssed" above?]

Crankarm

Guru
andrew-the-tortoise said:
Be pro-active; get one of these frame stickers off e-bay.:laugh:

View attachment 4507

Like it.

Also need a sign warning that covert filming will commence if the bike is fiddled with or removed, a tracker is fitted, so don't dare nick it. If you do
then you will easily be hunted down ...............

Top Bottom