How to digitally record audio...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
If I was to [theoretically] record audio from say Youtube to let's say WAV format, so that a CD player could recognise it, does anyone know how it can be done?

I wonder if GoldWave will do the trick...I've only ever used it before to convert MP3 to WAV format for burning onto audio CDs, but I'm sure there's a whole bag of tricks the s/w can do.

Any suggestions or techniques?

Cheers

simonali

Guru
You want Audacity. Free download

simonali

Guru
Right here's the long version!

Download Audacity from here. Don't d/l the beta version, but the stable, fully tested one, as the beta doesn't have the required features.

Once the program is up and running click Edit, then Preferences and on the Audio I/O tab select 2 channel (stereo) under recording. Click OK.

Then on the main interface, there's a drop down box to the right which should have an option labelled "what u hear". Select that.

Then just press the record button and then play your streamed content. It should record the audio straight onto your hard drive which you then save in the format of your choice (click File and then Export as...)

Oh and don't play with other programs that make any noises as every click, bleep, buzz etc will be recorded!

HTH :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
That's brilliant, simonali. You sound like you've got some experience of this!
Cheers, I'll give it a try!

simonali

Guru
Well, it's been asked a few times and I've never been asked to explain it out loud, so now I can just cut and paste that post next time!

Those settings basically record whatever is coming out of your speakers, so it works on any streamed content inc. myspace etc.

(not that I'm condoning any form of music theft, of course) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I can follow the 'Edit|Preferences|Audio I/O tab select |2 channel (stereo)
instructions' that you mention, but I can't find the drop-down list that includes "what u hear" on it...the drop-down I see has "Wave|Line-In|Aux|CD Audio|Microphone|Stereo Mix

I've just downloaded stable version 1.2.6...is this the one you have?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
update: Got it sorted, cheers, simonali.
'Stereo Mix' option seems to do the job.

simonali

Guru
Maz said:
I've just downloaded stable version 1.2.6...is this the one you have?

I downloaded it a while ago and mine is version 1.2.4

http://www.filehippo.com/download_audacity/589/

Maz said:

I won't tell if you don't!

Top Bottom