How to get back in the mood.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have recently had an operation on my knee from falling of my bike. I am having my stitches out tomorrow and wanted to know what the best way of getting back into the sync of cycling was.

Should I take it easy for a few days? Or just ride as normal? I havent broken any bones and the wound has healed already.

What is the best method?

Take your time, see how it feels. There's nothing worse than going at it like a bull in a china shop and then finding yourself set back even further.

Softly, softly catchy monkey as the old saying goes :thumbsup:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Start off easy and see how your knee feels. Your body will tell you if you are overdoing it.

byegad

Legendary Member
Easy does it. If you've been off the bike a while you'll not be 100% fit. Also you may find yourself backing off if your accident was bike related.

Zoiders

Remember to use plenty of fresh lube if the bike has not been ridden for a while.

Norm

And put some on the bike as well **baddum tish**

IMO, for the first ride, set a day and time and just do it. Speed and distance can vary, depending on how you feel on the day, but just try to get out and ride once.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have had a look at the wound and when I bend my knee, nothing happens. I am having the stitches out tomorrow afternoon and will ask the doctor what he recommends, but will definately be back on the bike by this weekend.

I think I will take your advice and take it slow for the first few days.

On the up-side, I dont need my crutches anymore and can walk perfectly fine now.

apollo179

Yes well there is plenty of wet weather coming up in the next few months. :sad:

Hey bewarned.
If you spend any more time down that hospital you will have to buy them all christmas cards and you know how expensive christmas cards are ?
Nuff said.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
While having the stitches out today, I asked the doctor when he suggests I can get back on my bike. He said about 2 weeks (stuff that). I think a week on saturday will be enough. He only said that if I go on it straight away then I might stretch the scar and make it worse.

He did say that he can only give advice though.

Top Bottom