How to have a great ride ruined

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
There I was, zipping home in the beautiful sunshine and enjoying the fresh air (and on course for a new homeward PB too) when the front tire fell victim to the dreaded UDE. Took a while to fix as the bloody stupid Cyclaire Plus wouldn't stay attached to the Presta valve, and when it worked loose it would let all of the newly-pumped-in the air out again. Then, as I'd been using it for more than 3 minutes, it started overheating and getting very hard to operate (plus the pull cord was shedding it's black coating at an alarming rate). I eventually managed to get about 60 psi in and had to continue on that, knowing I only had a couple more miles to go.

Well, 5 minutes later, within the home stretch, there was an almighty whoosh of air and the back tire went flat. I ended up jumping off and walking the last 5 minutes home.

Really spoiled what had - up to that point - been a really enjoyable ride. :eek:
So - now off to look for some better tyres (thanks John and Hairy Jock for the suggestions elsewhere) and a more reliable pump (Topeak Road Morph was recommended here when I bought the Cyclaire - wish I'd listened !)

Unlucky m8.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry to hear that Goo - reflects my experiences with the Kendas, I'm afraid to say. In the time I ran them, I had four tubes on the go, with at least one needing repair each week :eek:

I liked the Road Morph G a lot better than the Cyclaire, for what that's worth - lighter and better looking on the bike too.

Wolf04

Unlucky, and it was a great day to be out and about, still tomorrows another chance of a great ride. Thanks for the info re: Cyclaire I had considered them in the past before plumping for CO2.

gavintc

Guru
Weather wise, I reckon today was the best I have had this year in UK. Lovely commute home, and I managed an average of 21 mph for my 17 miles - so feeling quite pleased with myself. The ride just felt so much fun, I just had to let rip.

Wolf04

gavintc said:
Weather wise, I reckon today was the best I have had this year in UK. Lovely commute home, .
Yes it was a joy to be out there tonight! Took the long way and just reveled in the sunshine. Car drivers gave me space, red lights changed as I approached, yes good to be alive. Sorry red wine makes me emotional.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

gavintc said:
Weather wise, I reckon today was the best I have had this year in UK. Lovely commute home, and I managed an average of 21 mph for my 17 miles - so feeling quite pleased with myself. The ride just felt so much fun, I just had to let rip.

I'd agree - I was wearing my CycleChat short-sleeved jersey because it was so nice out ! Maybe that's why three cyclists asked me if I was OK and needed help as I was doing my repairs ? :eek:

Just been looking at my bike computer - I'd hit 27.9mph at some point on the way home. Wow !! No wonder I was looking at a record time for getting home until the tires decided otherwise. Like you, it was so much fun that I was really going for it.

Wonder what tomorrow will be like ? Not taking the bike as I have to go to the PO on the way home to pick up my new track pump which will be in a large box no doubt.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

John the Monkey said:
Sorry to hear that Goo - reflects my experiences with the Kendas, I'm afraid to say. In the time I ran them, I had four tubes on the go, with at least one needing repair each week :eek:

I liked the Road Morph G a lot better than the Cyclaire, for what that's worth - lighter and better looking on the bike too.

John - what's happened to your avatar ? You have a weird, blocky mono version of Bonj's puffer fish instead of your cycling chimp. Being back Mr (Gear)Shifter :tongue:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Take a look in the cafe to find out about the avator. I managed to rip the valve of a tube today when i took the pump head off. Doh!

Wolf04

goo_mason said:
John - what's happened to your avatar ? You have a weird, blocky mono version of Bonj's puffer fish instead of your cycling chimp. Being back Mr (Gear)Shifter :evil:
I've been wondering the same about your avatar Goo?

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

I keep meaning to change it back. It was a jokey change when I was accused of being a sinister master hacker at one point after using Google to look up one of Magnatom's detractors. I decided that I must be a shady, shadowy figure and changed my avatar accordingly.

Wolf04

Magnatom has detractors? Never let me at them! Much better now your avatar is back to normal, I was worried I had cataracts, well that or too much red wine.

Tynan

Veteran
yikes

everyone loves those cycleairs to bits don't they?

new tops speed for me yesterday of 33.1mph on the level bit after Camden Road hill heading East, drafting someone that braked for the speed camera, I made a textbook overtake, brilliant, loads more to come I reckon too, still getting the hang of how fast it goes if you get the legs whizzing

buddha

Veteran
I've gone through two Cyclaire's. The last one is currently stuck in a tree at the bottom of my garden - after I threw it!
I just have a frame pump now, and use one of those screw-on hoses, so I don't have the bother of a leaky valve.

Top Bottom