How to indicate when traveling fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ellis456

It's easy when your going slow but what about when your traveling fast and you need to turn with both hands on the bars if you just use one hand it can be dangerous.

I was coming down a hill while braking, then had to lean into the corner and balance.

Any advice? thanks.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
signal before you need to turn and check to see if you really do need to signal

I have a pretty hairy downhill onto a roundabout that I need to turn right on.
I get a bit of speed up and look behind about a third of the way down the hill, nod to anyone behind me and they normally hold back from a pointless overtake. I then move across to just left of the white line.

I can't put my right arm because I need both hands on the brakes, but being the obvious position for a right turn saves any repercussions in my experience. Eye contact works, as does decent positioning.

marooned

Über Member
I would try to slow down. I have just got my first racing bike with drop handlebars. I'm still adjusting to positioning and don't want to put my hands too far from the brakes. I try to get a good look behind and move out (if turning right) well in advance so cars behind can see your intentions (hopefully). Either that or they honk at you to move over!

byegad

Legendary Member
Sorry people. It's a basic thing.

Look behind.
Signal.
Check behind again.
Move out.
Check again.
Signal.
Last check.
Make turn.

Sound a lot? Yes, but it keeps you alive and becomes a habit very quickly. The roads are not race tracks, we play merry hell when motorists treat them as such, why should we do the same?

Davidc

Guru
If there's no one else around don't (Highway Code says signalling is to help other's so no need)
If you need to then slow down and do it.

It's never worth taking risks with your safety on the roads.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It's easy when your going slow but what about when your traveling fast and you need to turn with both hands on the bars if you just use one hand it can be dangerous.

I was coming down a hill while braking, then had to lean into the corner and balance.

Any advice? thanks.

Look. Slow, Signal for around 12 seconds before the turn and position the bike. Allow around 8 to 10 seconds for your hands to be back on the bars . Look, look and turn.

apollo179

Signalling ??
I never see anybody signalling like in the old black and white films.
I tend to only indicate to motorists what im going to do if theres an obvious necessity.

Top Bottom