How to revive Goretex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I remember reading a while back that someone had re-waterproofed their goretex jacket. How can this be done?

After spending Sunday with some other forum members in driving wind and rain for 4 hours, I think my jacket needs revival. :evil:

jasper

Go to your nearest outdoor shop, they'll have something suitable in there.

jasper

Yes, spray is best as the one's that you wash in can affect the breathability of the fabric.

Fiona N

Veteran
You need to get hold of Nikwax Tech Wash first to clean the Goretex membrane: usually Goretex leaking is nothing to do with a need for re-proofing and everything to do with cleaning the membrane properly.

However, the Nikwax TX Direct wash-in re-proofer will bring back the surface beading effect too. You can get a TX Direct spray but it doesn't give nearly such an even finish as the wash-in version.

Both products are recommended by Gore for their fabrics. I reckon that using the Tech Wash regularly keeps the Goretex in good condition and I use the TX Direct only about every fourth wash.

HelenD123

Guru
I also heard somewhere that it helps to tumble dry or iron the jacket after treating it. Best read the instructions first before doing this though.

Chris James

Über Member
As oper the instructions given by Fiona N.

Most 'leaking' is actually internal condesntaion due to the surface DWR (durable water repellant) coating being compromised. The DWR usually wets out (the surface of your coat looks wet, rather than beading up water) due to dirt.

Washing the coat will restore it. Avoid washing in detergent (even though Gore say this is okay!) as detergents have wetting agents in them whihc undermine the DWR.

Use either Nikwax Techwash or pure soap flakes (guess which is cheaper!!?)

That should improve your jacket. If it doesn't then the DWR needs topping up. This can be done with either Nikwax TX Direct wash in or spray. If your jacket has a wicking drop lining (mesh type thingy) then use the spray on the outside of the jacket. Using the wash in stuff would prooof your lining leading to it feeling very clammy.

If the jacket doesn't have that lining then it is fine to use the wash in stuff.

Youi can also use Grangers products.

Grangers need reactivating with heat (very cool iron or cool tumble dry) whereas Nikwax doesn't.

trio25

Über Member
i use Grangers wash in stuff then tumble dry, it has brought my jacket back to being as waterproof as when it was new!

Chris James

Über Member
I have been a long term Nikwax user, but I suspect that Grangers is actually better. Certainly Fabsil seems to work better than the Nikwax product and G-Sport is good too.

Hi there. I'm actually one of the people who develops products for Nikwax. The advice you have been given is sound.

If your jacket is just a bit grubby it will start to let you down and cleaning with our Tech Wash (or another soap based cleaner) may revive it.

However if the factory finish is worn out then you could happily use TX-Direct Wash in to easily reproof your jacket. That will give you the most even application and doesn't effect breathability.

The main advantage our product has over Grangers and other fluorochemical waterproofing products is that you don't need to tumble dry or iron to activate. Both of these can damage things like taped seams.

Danny

Legendary Member
It was recently suggested to me by a shop assitants that the lining of Gortex jackets can get damaged when you fold them up small (e.g. to go into a pannier of backpack).

He also recommended that you always hang your jacket up on a clothes hanger rather than stuff it in a drawer for this reason.

Is this true?

Top Bottom