How to set off with a crosswind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
After travelling about 8 miles in a headwind and getting to where I head south down a river path, I realised that setting off from a junction is going to be quite difficult with 30/40mph gusts hitting me.

The problem is this: Whenever I am riding in a crosswind, I am on the drops and putting as much weight on the bike as possible to stop either of the wheels lifting off the ground and causing me to crash. But when setting off, I stand on the pedals, which means that I am not on the drops, I have my hands covering the brakes so I can steady myself.
The solution: To be on the drops and stand on the pedals when setting off. However, this makes my hands very unstable and I do not get the forces through the pedals I require to set off.

How do I go about this situation? I live on the coast and all year round, we have strong winds heading across to the east.

The good thing about these winds is that I can hit 30mph on the flats easily.

snorri

Legendary Member
How do I go about this situation? I live on the coast and all year round, we have strong winds heading across to the east.

Easy solution, get off and walk. It's just not worth the risk of trying to cycle in very strong winds. You might be lucky and just get blown in to the ditch, or you might get blown the other way.........:sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't get much experience with coastal crosswinds, but I would have thought that getting into a much lower gear* ready for pushing off, so that you can keep your body low and seated, might help keep your balance and reduce wind resistance.

*If you still have a lower gear, that is! I found myself struggling on the flat into a 20 mph wind this morning, on the little ring and very close to the biggest ring on the cassette. Totally demoralising.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I recently commuted home in a sidewind akin to the one in the clip. A girl in front of me got hit by a gust that took her right across the shared path, and into the rutted grass, which pitched her over the bars. She was fine though - couldn't stop laughing.

Tynan

Veteran
lifting the wheels off the ground?

a strong crosswind can be difficult but surely not pickng the bike up with you on it, what you weigh?

I don't get much experience with coastal crosswinds, but I would have thought that getting into a much lower gear* ready for pushing off, so that you can keep your body low and seated, might help keep your balance and reduce wind resistance.

*If you still have a lower gear, that is! I found myself struggling on the flat into a 20 mph wind this morning, on the little ring and very close to the biggest ring on the cassette. Totally demoralising.

+1

Just set off a different gear that has the balance of not needing to stand up to move it, while offering enough resistance that a single foot push moves you off enough to get you going (and possibly enough time to clip in if you ride clipped)

Bigsharn

Veteran
Setting off from a junction in crosswinds (turning right, at least) I make sure there's no traffic whatsoever and get parallel to the windflow as soon as possible, then drift to the left into primary.

If the wind is a headwind from coming out of the junction (so crosswind on the sideroad) I drop to my middle ring so I aren't standing on the pedals to get going, then get off and walk.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well TDF riders weigh no more then 10st.

No criticism whatsoever, Matthew. At just over 6ft and 11 1/2 stone, my weight is fine by me, but a lot of cyclechatters would eat their hearts out to get (back) to your weight. (But presumably they've figured out that if they eat their hearts, they'll still weigh at least the same - this though will depend on their cooking....)

I'm not sure how many TdF riders weigh that little, though - it'd have to be the mountain goats.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd have to leave just one leg to weigh under 9 stone. Racing I was 11-12 stone at 5'9". Now just over 12 stone.

Matt, hence why you get blown about a bit. Don't tense up riding in the wind, expect it, and a little lean into it - hold the bars lightly. I've done the 45degree lean into the wind on the top of Woodhead before.

Also I can see why squaring up to drivers aged 17 and under 9st doesn't get a good reaction - leave it be !

Anyway - get flying up that hill at the back of Prestatyn - you should be up there without thinking at your weight !

Top Bottom