How to train for the Alps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunc

I am planning to cycle in the Alps later in the year and am particularly aiming to tackle the Alpe D'Huez. I am relativley fit but not used to climbing (I live in the East of England .... not exactlyl ideal training terrain!!).

Can anyone give any advice on the best places in the UK where I can go riding to train for a climb like the Alpe D'Huez. I appreciate there won't be anywhere quite on that scale but just wondering if there are particularly good training routes that could be good?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hill intervals. Spin classes. Turbo trainer.

OT,when are you planning on going? I should be there on 3rd July.

For training I am currently using the Turbo,alternating between intervals and 80k VR rides, probably putting in about 200~250km a week. Not forgetting the odd ColinJ forum ride for some actual hill torture :laugh:

OT,when are you planning on going? I should be there on 3rd July.

For training I am currently using the Turbo,alternating between intervals and 80k VR rides, probably putting in about 200~250km a week. Not forgetting the odd ColinJ forum ride for some actual hill torture :laugh:

10hrs a week on a turbo? You must be comatose!. And a turbo cannot get close to simulating the long steady gradient of an alpine climb.

10hrs a week on a turbo? You must be comatose!. And a turbo cannot get close to simulating the long steady gradient of an alpine climb.

Tacx Fortius,quite capable of simulating 10%+ all day long complete with accurate wheel speed to video speed correlation. So long as you have a bloody big fan a 80k ride taking in per se Ventoux is a very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, especially when there is snow outside.

OP
OP
D

Dunc

I'm not planning to go until late August, early September.

Not sure I could take 200-250km a week on a turbo trainer!! Have done some turbo sessions but prefer the big outdoors (apart from today of course!).

Have tried a few hills in Kent, found some very steep ones but very short. Looking for something closter to the gradient of the Alpe D'Huez .... even if nowhere near the height.

There are no hills in the UK that properly simulate an Alp - need to keep it long and steady with occasional effort at steeper pitches/hairpins - so endurance is the key.

I normally do my training by cycling there - and Im not particulaly bothered if I stop a few times on the way up (in fact I find it preferable)
Isere.JPG

gilespargiter

Veteran
Not wishing to be facetious here. I thought the whole thing about a bicycle is that you can go at,if not your own chosen speed, then at least one you are comfortable at. So; in order to train for cycling in the alps -
1. Learn how to balance your bicycle (most important).
2. Go to the alps and ride your bicycle (essential for riding in the Alps).
Useful tips:
Ride on the wrong side of the road . . !
If it has gears, it is quite useful to know how to operate them.
If you can pump up tyres, this may come in handy.

Sorry - just couldn't resist :smile: (My home ground is N Wales, where the hills are steeper if not longer).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just a little warning. Be careful in the alps in September.

Here I am at St Moritz in September 2011 on my "Other" bike.

I had this for about 120km going down the mountains.

P1010621-1.jpg

P1010622.jpg

Steve

Attachments

• P1010621-1.jpg
    P1010621-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010622.jpg
    P1010622.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 77

doog

I am planning to cycle in the Alps later in the year and am particularly aiming to tackle the Alpe D'Huez. I am relativley fit but not used to climbing (I live in the East of England .... not exactlyl ideal training terrain!!).

Can anyone give any advice on the best places in the UK where I can go riding to train for a climb like the Alpe D'Huez. I appreciate there won't be anywhere quite on that scale but just wondering if there are particularly good training routes that could be good?

Luckily you are on the touring forum ^_^

So presuming you have either 2 or 4 panniers and are not a ninja! my advice would be to spin away and stop as often as you like (being a tourer you will get away with this)

My training for some bloody big mountains is an 8 mile commute and a 300 foot Dorset Hill when I can fit it in on a weekend.

Indeed psmiffy sums it up perfectly with his post...(although personally i wouldnt take my kids with me ^_^)

jjb

Über Member
Those motorbike photos are great.

I've done some repetitions of big hills near where I live but it gets boring - just going for a full day on the bike is the main thing. And easing up on the cakes to get to fighting weight in the preceding months. Then if you set a nice gentle pace, you'll float up the Alp, snow not withstanding.

Luckily you are on the touring forum ^_^

Indeed psmiffy sums it up perfectly with his post...(although personally i wouldnt take my kids with me ^_^)

A good friend of mine did Isere from the south - avec his kids - both in one of them kiddie trailers :highfive:

OP
OP
D

Dunc

Thanks for the advice.

Steve ... i like the photo's but you got me worried now :huh: ... I might have to reconsider the date!! I spoke to a couple of people in Grenoble and they said the snow didn't usually arrive til October.

Are there such things as snow tyres for a touring bike?? :smile:

Thanks for the advice.

Steve ... i like the photo's but you got me worried now :huh: ... I might have to reconsider the date!! I spoke to a couple of people in Grenoble and they said the snow didn't usually arrive til October.

Are there such things as snow tyres for a touring bike?? :smile:

The photo in my post above was taken in July - from Val to about 300m from the top it was 40° and I was stripped down to as little as was decent - at about 2470m it started to snow quite nicely :cold: - you cannot guarantee the weather in the mountains

Top Bottom