Husband not interested in touring...what have you done in this situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thistler

Veteran
I'm sure some of you have been in this situation - what did you do?

I've been approaching the idea of touring with my husband and he has said any holiday that involves more than 45 mins on a bike sounds like pure hell to him. (He is fully supportive of my cycling, as long as it doesn't effect him in any way  :tongue:)

He said the thought of me riding while he goes on ahead didn't appeal either - he didn't like the idea of waiting for hours for me to get there and then me being too knackered to do anything once I had arrived. 

What have you guys/girls done? Gone on your own? Not gone at all? Have you found a compromise where you were both happy?

Garz

Squat Member
So he is confidently fitter than you are or is that just his assumption?

Seems a bit selfish, I know I would love my wife to be as interested in cycling as I am however if he lets you do it and is supportive your mirroring my situation. I would go on my own and keep trying, one day you could surpass his fitness level and challenge him?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So he is confidently fitter than you are or is that just his assumption?

Seems a bit selfish, I know I would love my wife to be as interested in cycling as I am however if he lets you do it and is supportive your mirroring my situation. I would go on my own and keep trying, one day you could surpass his fitness level and challenge him?

I reckon thistler already has surpassed his fitness level and he doesn't relish the challenge - I think the idea was that he'd be going ahead in a car! ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Go on a cycling holiday with a group? Plax of this parish did this earlier in the year - a CTC trip IIRC.
Talking someone into a cycling holiday if they're not keen will end badly.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My wife has no interest either, so I tend to go alone, or with a friend. I'm hoping to do LEJOG in the next year or so & my wife may come along mid route if I'm having a rest day, but that will be about it :blush:

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Husband would be in the car, he has no interest in cycling at all really other than the occasional pootle around...

I am a bit wary of touring as a lone woman, riding solo is fine but I'd be a bit worried about camping on my own. I did look online at groups but the ones I saw were incredibly expensive...guess I've been looking in the wrong place! Where should I be looking?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Tricky one. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who is at least as keen as me. We did a couple of tours in the early days with organised groups and they were a good grounding. There were quite a few singletons and some whose partners weren't interested who came along. We've remained firm friends with two single women and have toured independently with them since. Some of the CTC ones are pretty good value.
Whereabouts are you as a matter of interest?

Ben M

Get a tandem or go alone :smile:

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Get a tandem or go alone :smile:
:biggrin: he doesn't like the idea of a tandem either!

Do you all think it is safe for a woman to go touring/camping on her own? I used to do it back in the 80's/early 90's but things seemed safer then....or maybe I was just naive! Would you men feel okay with your wife/partner/daughter going on her own?

yello

Go on your own, it's what I do. My wife enjoys riding but not touring, I'm due to head off on a Loire valley tour in a few weeks time, DIY depending. I'd love for my wife to come with me but it's just not her thing. We both understand the others perspective.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Husband would be in the car, he has no interest in cycling at all really other than the occasional pootle around...

I am a bit wary of touring as a lone woman, riding solo is fine but I'd be a bit worried about camping on my own. I did look online at groups but the ones I saw were incredibly expensive...guess I've been looking in the wrong place! Where should I be looking?
Why not right here on CycleChat? I bet if you posted a thread with the title "Woman/women wanted to accompany female CycleChatter on cycle touring holiday" you'd get several keen volunteers within a couple of days!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why not right here on CycleChat? I bet if you posted a thread with the title "Woman/women wanted to accompany female CycleChatter on cycle touring holiday" you'd get several keen volunteers within a couple of days!

You're right Colin. Auntie Helen has asked and got companions before now. Turdus Philomenos has toured on her own recently in Holland as a novice.

Top Bottom