Hybrid Help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amelia-jane

I have a 15yr(?) old Dawes Synthesis hybrid that is begining to show it's age. I love this bike and will never part with it but several mechanics have told me it really is time to retire it and buy a bright shiny new bike.

The range of hybrids out there is bewildering and i would really appreciate some help from you guys.

I like the lightweight (cromo) frame of my current Dawes and I like it's compact frame (i think it has quite a short reach). I definately don't want drop handle bars and I like my current narrow handle bars. I also want a straight top bar (just because my current bike has...). My bike is my main means of transport - to work, friends, family, shops etc and i also use it for lightweight touring.

I'm looking for a good quality (perhaps ever so sightly sporty) hybrid that will last me another 15 yrs. Price range would be up to £1000.

What i really want is another Dawes Synthesis but they don't make them anymore...

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
A

amelia-jane

Ok. Last post was a bit lazy. I've now read through lots of threads on here and the Kona Dr Dew sounds pretty good.

Any experiences of it?
Anyone know whether the 2010 is any better than the 2009?
Any other suggestions?

Anyone out there...?

bad boy

Über Member
Hi amelia

Ive no experience of the Dr Dew but have heard its very robust and good ride sounds like it could be a good contender.

I would reccomend you go to a well stocked shop like Evans or somewhere and have a look at a few, even if you dont buy from them it will help you make your final decision.

OP
OP
A

amelia-jane

Thanks.
I'm going to go to Evans next week and take a look. Trouble is I don't have a clue and so will have no idea whether what i'm looking at is any good or not but it looks like the Dr Dew will be worth a try out to start with.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
With that budget the range to choose from fairly wide, the best thing to do is visit a number of LBS's and try riding as many bikes as you can. It really is the best way to find a bike which is right for you...

Good luck.

What to look for, well brakes would be a good start... ;)

OP
OP
A

amelia-jane

Am going to try out next week. Could do with a short list though. The fact that i'll have such a range to choose from just makes it worse - i'm not the most decisive person... it's taken a year and watching several bike mechanics shaking their heads to accept i need a new bike at all...

Oh, and life's much more interesting without brakes - least that's what i tell myself (dear old Synthe's brakes aren't too good anymore - but shhh... don't let her hear that...)

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

I don't have a Dr Dew - but I've got it's cheaper cousin - the Dew Plus. Compact frame and very fun to ride.

It's a very nice bike - strong and well built. And I've only ever seen good things written about the Kona Dew hybrids. I think the frames' have lifetime guarantees, so they should last.

The 2010s don't look that different from the 2009s. The head tubes are longer on some of the models and the seat stays are different on the disc brake models so it's easier to attach mudguards and racks. Kona don't seem to make big changes - just minor adjustments to something that works well.

Some of the 2009 models are getting thin on the ground now - managed to get the Dew Plus in my size but others were already discontinued.

Cheers.

OP
OP
A

amelia-jane

Thanks for that.
I need racks (and mudguards in winter) so the 2010 might be better.

Think i might limit budget to £800ish, as it looks as though i'd get a good bike for what i want at that price - and it would help to narrow the choice...

Have added Trek 7.6 to the list...
Any more..?

g00se

Veteran
For info, you can still fit racks and mudguards to the 2009 disc models - you just need a disc brake specific rack - or disc brake spacers.

Eg. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=32816

And you might need the mudguard stays shaped to avoid the brake callipers. This is a common thing with disc brake equipped bikes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
amelia-jane said:
Thanks for that.
I need racks (and mudguards in winter) so the 2010 might be better.

Think i might limit budget to £800ish, as it looks as though i'd get a good bike for what i want at that price - and it would help to narrow the choice...

Have added Trek 7.6 to the list...
Any more..?

OK, have a look at the Specialized Sirrus Elite or similar, and the Norco VFR range...

bad boy

Über Member
The trek 7.6 is a very nice bike but im a little suspect of the wheels, especially on dodgy roads, its a def fast commuting bike and looks lovely but not sure if it would be as robust as the Kona !?.

A femal ridder at work uses the Trek7.5fx which looks very good she has a rack and full guards but notice her wheels are not the standard 09 24 spoke pattern not sure if the lbs changed them for her but this also would be a good option for you. It also had avid cable operated disk brakes which are good especially in the wet.

OP
OP
A

amelia-jane

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

Lovely list of bikes to try. At least i have somewhere to start now.
Might have to shop around a lot to try them all.

I think i read somewhere else too that the wheels on the Trek 7.6 were a bit iffy.

And i like the look of the Norco VFRs - never seen those before.
Still like the Konas too.

Just have to break the news to dear old Synthe...
And why do i feel so stupidly guilty about riding my old bike to the LBS (even picking up the lingo now) to look for a replacement...

...ridiculous!

Cubist

Still wavin'
A-J, look at the Boardman Hybrid pro. It has all you ask, with a compact double chainset and Avid Elixir disc brakes. I commute on mine and am planning some longer distance stuff. £800. Luvverly. (try and work round the Halfords thing, it's only psychological.....!!)

Oh, and it weighs 21lb.

Top Bottom