Hybrid or MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lawman

Hi all,
I have been lurking for a while so thought it was time to post.

I am thinking of a new bike for traveling to work. The route is mainly uphill on the way there, 6 miles with 2 miles rising by about 600ft.
I am looking to have a bike that I could use for this commute but also would like to have the option to use the bike at some of the trail centres at the weekend.

The question would be - is it better to buy an MTB and change the tyres slicks or should I be thinking of a hybrid bike like the Scott Sportster P4?

My budget is up to £500 and my work have joined the cycle to work scheme with Evans.

Thanks for your help in advance.

simon_brooke

It would be much, much, much better buying a hybrid, unless you're using a route which a Land Rover could not drive.

Cubist

Still wavin'
MTB ifyou want to do anything more adventurous than the family or green routes at the trail centres. A hybrid simply won't get you round as comfortably, and all the people on here who hate MTBs seem to think they are all dual suspension 20kg monsters. Modern XC hardtail with decent forks are well within your budget. I can average 18mph over a 7 mile commute on mine with slicks.

If you do get an MTB, make sure you use it at the trail centres though, otherwise you'll have wasted an opportunity for some balls-out fun.

pauljonhaz

Welcome Lawman

I'm with Cubist I have a XC bike which I have put semi slick tyres on which are brilliant for my daily commute and then when I fancy a bit rougher stuff they do ok or if I want the really ruff stuff can put my knobblys on.

A lot of decent XC bikes out there and as Cubist says they are a hell of a lighter then they used to be! The best bet is maybe look online and pick a few you like the look of but before buying you must have a test ride first!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

I'm with the hardtailrigid MTB & slicks people, with knobbly tyres for off road fun. I also find the MTB makes the many sleeping policemen on my commute route a lot more bearable (or should that be fun?)

Top Bottom