Hybrid or Road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Wheelhouse

Hello,

So after falling off my bike and managing to write it off on Saturday I started looking off a new bike, I really wanted a road bike. I also told my neighbour of the accident and how I had damaged my bike. Ten minutes later he comes back to me offering to sell his Boardman Team hybrid and about £150 worth of accessories for about £350, he bought them from the cycle to work scheme and has not used it at all. I'm not too worried about the accessories as most will overlap with what I already have. I mainly ride on the road and cover distances of about 30miles each time I go out, bear in mind that this was on a very heavy BSO mountain bike. My budget is about £350. Before I was offered this I was looking at the Decathlon Tribal 3.

What I want to know is:
  1. How different are are the riding positions on road bikes compared to hybrids, assuming the hybrid has bar ends?
  2. What would be best for longish rides, about 100 miles?
  3. What would people generally choose?
Thanks
tup.gif

edwardd67

Had the Boardman for a year . Bought a"Proper" Road bike yesterday.
Boardman great Bike but just fancied a roadie.

Boardman more upright riding position easier on the lower back.

MarkF

Guru
What I want to know is:
  1. How different are are the riding positions on road bikes compared to hybrids, assuming the hybrid has bar ends?
  2. What would be best for longish rides, about 100 miles?
  3. What would people generally choose?
Thanks
tup.gif

1. Not a lot, I've both, but spend very litle time using the lowers on my road bike.
2. I've the hybrid set up for comfort, so it's comfier. I also bought a frame a tad large for me so that I can shift wriggle about as the miles pass and aches set in.
3. Depends on your riding preferences.

Hybrids are great for riders like myself whio like to do mixed riding, towpath, trail and road, that was a massive attraction for me, a do-it-all bike. I still like to ride the Aire Valley, Leeds to Skipton and switch back and forth between the A road and the Leeds/Liverpool canal when I feel like it. I can't do that on my road bike with it's slick 23mm's, however, the road bike is way easier, faster and more pleasureable on the tarmac, like comparing a van and a racing car..........

Makemore

Ive just ordered a hybrid comort bike but i ride a road bike with drop bars at the moment but i suffer with a bit of a bad back and sometimes wish i could just sit upright,i like the speed of my road bike but im only a leisure/commuter rider so if i get on well with my new bike and its not too much of a slow commuter i may sell my drop bar bike it just depends what you use your bike for.

BSRU

A Human Being
I commute on a hybrid but am about to receive a racer soon, fingers crossed.

The hybrid is great just has slight problems because of the upright position when cycling into head winds, climbing reasonable climbs and over a certain speed the drag is more of a factor.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I've just bought a Hybrid - Spesh Sirrus Elite, I had been riding a Dawes tourer, I had an op on my left thumb last year, left me with carpal tunnel & limited use of the thumb, so braking had become a probelm on the drop bars.
I did a 60 mile plus ride on it on Sat, there is huge weight differnce bewteen the Dawes & the Spesh, I found it a much lighter & easier ride, the posistion is slightly more upright which I also found easier on my back, never really thought about how much my bcak & shoulders ached before until I realised it didn't on Sat!
All in all i'm glad I made the switch - but that's probaly more to do with the weight of the bikes that then bars, i'd still be on drops if i could

Alan Whicker

I've got a sporty hybrid, a Trek 7.3FX which has flat handlebars. I love it, but I often find myself wishing I had drops so I could shift hand position. Next bike will be something like a Tifosi CK7 - drops and mudguard clearances.

Spork

I've got a sporty hybrid, a Trek 7.3FX which has flat handlebars. I love it, but I often find myself wishing I had drops so I could shift hand position. Next bike will be something like a Tifosi CK7 - drops and mudguard clearances.

I've the same bike, I find myself gripping the end of the bars as though there's grips there (luckily the Bontranger handles are slightly flatter at the ends so I've still plenty of control of my steering). I'm looking to get some end grip thingys as I love my bike, and I'm not that confident to try a road bike just yet. Even with my short stints of under 10 miles, it's nice to change positions.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
if you can get the boardman at that price it would be a very good deal, and you wont be disappointed in the quality of the bike.

just make sure its his to sell, if he hasn't yet completed the scheme he cant sell the bike.

give the bike a try.

generally speaking a road bike will give a harsher ride for a little more speed but a hybrid can be very fast and a good all round bike as well.

me, I'd go for your neighbours offer.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
How long ago did the neighbour get it on bike-to-work?
You'll want to be sure the scheme is finished and the bike's actually his to sell.

Top Bottom