I am starting to think my frame size is to big for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have a 64cm Dawes Galaxy. I bought that size on advice from the LBS. I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at a portly 17 stone these days. My inside leg is 36"....so i am a BIG bloke and do need a BIG bike....however my recent conversations with other LBS's regarding buying a roadbike has lead me to think that 61cm is the correct frame size for me...why?....well, firstly all the other LBS are saying 61cm is the size frame for me, and secondly I think I look stretched out on the bike compared to other riders positions I look at. I am relatively comfortable on the bike, and there isnt much I can do about it now after a year+ of solid riding...but I reckon a 61cm frame is what i should have been sold. I am guessing that a 64cm steel frame is somewhat heavier than a 61cm steel frame...which is what is bugging me about this....;):wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
that certainly is a big frame, you're two inches taller than me and nearly two inches longer in the leg and Condor put me on a 58", granted a semi compact frame

bit of a bummer if true

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have a 64cm Dawes Galaxy. I bought that size on advice from the LBS. I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at a portly 17 stone these days. My inside leg is 36"....so i am a BIG bloke and do need a BIG bike....however my recent conversations with other LBS's regarding buying a roadbike has lead me to think that 61cm is the correct frame size for me...why?....well, firstly all the other LBS are saying 61cm is the size frame for me, and secondly I think I look stretched out on the bike compared to other riders positions I look at. I am relatively comfortable on the bike, and there isnt much I can do about it now after a year+ of solid riding...but I reckon a 61cm frame is what i should have been sold. I am guessing that a 64cm steel frame is somewhat heavier than a 61cm steel frame...which is what is bugging me about this....:tongue::wacko:

Have you thought about moving the saddle or changing to a shorter stem?

The weight difference when touring will be a tiny %age of your combined loaded weight.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Smeggers said:
Im 6'2" with a 33" inside leg and Ribble put me on a 56cm!

I'm beginnning to think the opposite to you!
You're the same size as me and my road bikes are both 58cm. My first (adult) road bike was 56 cm and it was definitely too small for me.

My old bike, the Bianchi in my avatar, was a 60 cm frame and it only felt slightly on the large side.

k-dog

Before I read further down I was guessing at 61cm - 64 does seem a little too big.

I'm 6'1" and am most comfortabl (usually - it depends on the brand) on a 58cm frame. My 59.5cm fixie does feel just a little long.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Stem: 1 1/8

This is the stem size being quoted on the Dawes Galaxy for 2008..I assume it's the same as the 2007 which I have. It is an alloy colour. Maybe I should get a shorter one and try it out? I asked the LBS i bought it from about this option and they said that numb hands are something all cyclists suffer from and that a shorter stem will not help. My hands are ok mostly, but I get a slight numbness on a longer ride if I forget to shift position enough. I am losing trust in LBS's to be honest, I get better info on this site without the sales pressure.
I think al I cna do really is to tour on this this summer, try out a smaller stem (which size would be smaller?) and then maybe sell the 64" on ebay and get a 59cm perhaps...but it's gonna cost big time...

yello

I'd try a shorter stem, though personally I think it's a big difference between a 64 and a 59 and I'm not sure a shorter stem will be enough.

I have a 52 and a 54 and I'm comfortable on both. The 54 has a shorter stem but it's not like there's a great deal of difference. There is a degree of 'fashion' to frame sizes and people today do tend to ride smaller frames than 30 or 40 years ago but none-the-less it does sound like 64 is on the big side for you.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

yep...just under 5k on the clocl plus a lot when the computer broke. I have no choice but to live with it..i mean if i can ride that far o it and not be in agony it 's not the end of the world, but now that I know I feel wronged, not to mention the extra weight up hills...mind you I suppose the extra weight helped me lose the bulk i have done somewhat faster...i think i will still have a word with the owber of the lbs and see what if anything can be done

Danny

Legendary Member
I wouldn't rush to conclusions about your bike size.

As far as I can see, it is not always straightforward comparing one bike to another on the basis of the sizes quoted by manufacturers, as they can use different methods for measuring their bikes.

If your bike feels comfortable, and you trust the LBS who sold it to you, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, I think that Dawes now have a fairly limited range of frame sizes, so if you hadn't bought a 64cm bike you might have had to go down to 60cm.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

If your bike feels comfortable, and you trust the LBS who sold it to you, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, I think that Dawes now have a fairly limited range of frame sizes, so if you hadn't bought a 64cm bike you might have had to go down to 60cm.

...well I did put my trust in this LBS but to be honest each time I visit my faith in them is eroded, right now I do not trust them, in fact I don't trust LBS's full stop (which is a real shame). The bike is comfortable (ish), however i have nothing to compare it to; I don't know how it is supposed to feel, as it's all I have ever known. It could well be uncomfortable compared to a smaller size, and certainly heavier. I also noticed that dawes seem to hav estopped selling the 64cm galaxies for 2008...in some kind of ironic way thta is good for me i guess, as if there is anyone out there in need of a 64cm frame I might get a better price.

I will still want a Galaxy though, they are great bikes...i may try to trade in this one against a 60 frame maybe in th e autumn.

...the plus side is that when i get a new carbon or alu road bike peeps wont see me for dust:biggrin::biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
BTFB, given that your Galaxy has a horizontal top tube, and using the old school sizing method (!) - how much bollock clearance do you have when you stand astride the bike? As long as you comfortably clear the top tube then the frame size can't be massively too big.

I am 5 ft 11.5 and have a 57cm Dawes Audax if that is any help.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I have around 2" bollock clearance...depending on the temperature on any given day:biggrin:

..The bike is clearly ridable and comfortable enough for me to hav eridden so far on it, it's just that now I have that niggling doubt in my mind that i am on some kind of freak show bike when i might have been able to ride a smaller frame. It's no big deal, just irratating. hey at least I have a decent bike right.

Chris James

Über Member
I would have thougth that two inches is about the right ball park (pardon the bad joke). If the next size down is a 60 cm then that is quite a bit smaller.

Top Bottom