I am thinking of coming over to the dark side.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
If it gets you riding to for it . I often chat to a lady on a Ribble e road bike on my commute she just uses the motor when riding with the hubby at the weekends apparently he's a bit quick the rest of the time she rides it as a normal bike and says the weight penalty is not that bad .
I really like the look of the Ribble range as they don't look like an E bike just a normal road bike
One other thing don't ever beat me up a climb on it :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm enjoying mine Dave. I don't need it, but it brings a different dimension to cycling.

Remember though, 250Wh is 250Wh, regardless of the bike. Most modern motors do decent torque of 50 or 60NM, some even claim 70 (although I habe my suspicions) so its more a case of finding the bike itself that suits you rather than getting too hung up on much else, except perhaps battery capacity.

Sharky

Guru
If you are coming over to the dark side, you'll need the full kit

Screenshot_20201024_160248.jpg

I like the look of that Ribble gravel bike. At the age of 73 I think something like that may be on the horizon. If I was looking for an e-bike I think the most important thing would be the reliability and/or replaceability of the battery so research there is important.

A friend of mine who is 77 has finally made up his mind to get an electric bike for the more hilly rides and his week long cycle tours, to alternate with his Mercians. He is a lifelong cyclist who was a keen TT'er from the age of 14 and has been mulling this decision over for a couple of years, and the rapid improvements in this field have helped him make his mind up.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Do it. I love mine. It got me back in to cycling after a period of being 'not very well' and I will always be glad I did. I still have it, and use it for heavy shopping trips and days when I just want an effortless blast round the lanes (and it's still massive fun) although now I am fitter I don't strictly need it. Good luck.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are coming over to the dark side, you'll need the full kit

1603557305186.png
The aero helmet should help him knock a few seconds off his '25' PB, but I'm afraid that his torn skinsuit will lose him all of those gains, and much more! :okay:

gzoom

Über Member
Not been able to cycle since this ***** virus got me in February. Aged 73 I am thinking ebikes.
I want comfort.
What think the CC masses of this one?
Any suggestions welcome.

Any bike is good, any eBike is good, the choice and range is massive as is the cost.

Pick a budget and go from there :smile:.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm enjoying mine Dave. I don't need it, but it brings a different dimension to cycling.

Remember though, 250Wh is 250Wh, regardless of the bike. Most modern motors do decent torque of 50 or 60NM, some even claim 70 (although I habe my suspicions) so its more a case of finding the bike itself that suits you rather than getting too hung up on much else, except perhaps battery capacity.
Some even claim 85Nm too.....so many out there now

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do i understand correctly that you must keep pedaling as normal or free wheel ie you can't just use the battery ?
The UK regulations are HERE. Note this one...

Regulations said:
Getting vehicle approval for your electric bike
An electric bike must be type approved if either:
  • it can be propelled without pedalling (a ‘twist and go’ EAPC**)
  • it does not meet the EAPC rules
This should have been done by the manufacturer or importer before you bought it. If it’s been type approved, it will have a plate showing its type approval number.

** EAPC = Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle

keithmac

Guru
Theres cadence or torque sensing to get the motor working.

Most use both, the torque sensing makes it feel more natural (the motor multiplies your input).

Top Bottom