"I Boris"...We Really Need to Talk About Johnson

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
FWIW I don't think there ever was a plan. Brexit wasn't meant to happen, Gove and Johnson were just showboating for a leadership bid. Cummings IMO got involved not because he thought Brexit should be done but that he could do it. Rees Mogg and his kind are doing it for personal gain. Francois and his lot are doing it because they're Little England pricks.
Johnson is pushing it because in his tiny mind he sees himself as a great figure of historical import which means he must do something dramatic.

There is no plan.
Well I see nothing to disagree with in any of the above.

But I was just wondering if someone? somewhere? Had a cunning plan, in all this if only for fiscal gain..

In the case of Johnson, it has always been about being popular. He discovered at school that he could create a bumbling persona, act the clown etc. He continued that as a journalist with a reputation for piss taking. He was assigned as a respondent on EU affairs, so he continued with his usual MO - he likely did not believe a word of what he wrote - how could he believe it since none of it was true.

Rees Moog is a charlatan, same with Farage.

There may never have been a plan, but now Johnson has an opportunity that has come late to him. He has a half brother Maximillian who operates out of Hong Kong. He has a company that has been actively recruiting chinese billionaires to 'invest' in the UK. For 'invest' read buy UK assets after the destruction of the UK economy caused by Brexit. If ever there was a best opportunity for an elite class to sell out the UK and piss off with the money, this is it. It's no longer a requirement to be talented to be in the Cabinet, rather the opposite applies.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOHHvd0_axM

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
What do you imagine is the ultimate game plan** here??
I'll try and remember to answer at greater length later. But Joey's right. There was no plan. The backers of Brexit are a dismal and disparate mixture of people, who managed to hoodwink enough mugs to vote for it.

The financial markets, overwhelmingly, were against. But they are also pragmatic and will work to make money (for savers, note) whatever happens.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'll try and remember to answer at greater length later. But Joey's right. There was no plan. The backers of Brexit are a dismal and disparate mixture of people, who managed to hoodwink enough mugs to vote for it.

The financial markets, overwhelmingly, were against. But they are also pragmatic and will work to make money (for savers, note) whatever happens.
This much I feared.

A total. absence of 'plan'
Just a vanity project, that somehow many folks were duped into supporting.

Out of weariness if nothing else.

"Let's get this over with" .

With no idea of what "this" entails, how long, pointless, and tortuous it's going to be.. :sad:

Interest rates are on the floor, or even gone through it.

Very unfair for people trying to save for a pension or what have you.

We live in interesting, but interest free times.

I have an overwhelming urge to invest my savings in building materials methinks..

Rusty Nails

We remember
I'm convinced that any minute now we'll have a whole host of posts giving a detailed explanation of the plan, then some defending Brexit, then a stack championing Johnson and the Tories and a shedload supporting Trump, any minute now...
No need to. They won (if Brexit counts as winning). If it goes wrong it'll all be because of Covid-19. Not my fault Guv.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Covid's going to be a useful comfort blanket for many, many years
Absolutely. but at least we'll all be under it together.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I see it this way. If the govt gets away with COVID, it'lll probably get away with anything viz. Cummings. If, on the other hand, it turns the populace against them, it could all go pear shaped for them very, very quickly.
How so? They've got years left yet, with a thumping majority, and have proved time and time again that they do what they want and say what they want, when they want.

How so? They've got years left yet, with a thumping majority, and have proved time and time again that they do what they want and say what they want, when they want.
Well, there is that.

I guess what I mean is that the public perception of them, once lost in such a dramatic way, may never recover. Of course in the meantime, they may cause no end of long term damage, everything certainly points that way.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well, there is that.

I guess what I mean is that the public perception of them, once lost in such a dramatic way, may never recover. Of course in the meantime, they may cause no end of long term damage, everything certainly points that way.
The wasteland that the next government may walk in to does cross my mind occasionally, actually, rather too frequently. Of course, it may yet be this lot again and they'll be able to strip the country completely, if they haven't already finished the job by the end of this term.

Top Bottom