"I Boris"...We Really Need to Talk About Johnson

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Encouraged and funded by nation states that believe they will benefit from a weakened UK and EU.
You'll be banging on about the Russia Report next.. :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There were quite a lot of plans. Mostly those of rich people planning to get a whole lot richer. And bent Tory politicians planning to help them.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/03/18/the-disaster-capitalism-club-part-2-sir-paul-marshall-and-michael-gove/
There's quite a lot about that article that doesn't stack up. Most notably, Marshall was pro Brexit and Wace anti, and yet Marshall is supposed to have advocated Brexit so that their joint firm would benefit?

Hmmmmm.....

It's a real shame that the left doesn't understand the City, because there are some valid criticisms. But this sort of slur by insinuation will just be dismissed by anyone with half a clue.

What the article demonstrates is that asset managers are pragmatic and will seek to make money out of whatever circumstances they find themselves in.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's quite a lot about that article that doesn't stack up. Most notably, Marshall was pro Brexit and Wace anti, and yet Marshall is supposed to have advocated Brexit so that their joint firm would benefit?

Hmmmmm.....

It's a real shame that the left doesn't understand the City, because there are some valid criticisms. But this sort of slur by insinuation will just be dismissed by anyone with half a clue.

What the article demonstrates is that asset managers are pragmatic and will seek to make money out of whatever circumstances they find themselves in.
But that 'pragmatism' would be exactly the criticism made by 'the left' of unethical capitalism.

If an asset managers first objective, indeed legal obligation, is to maximise return on investment.

Or in the case of a floated company to maximise shareholder return, there is almost inevitably going to be a tension between ethics and profit.

I'm aware there are types of 'ethical investment'

But unregulated, exploitative, harmful activities, can be very profitable for investors.

Whilst being harmful to other individuals, other countries, and society as a whole.

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of the Marshall / Wace business, but I'm sure that it wouldnt be difficult for very clever financial types, to profit from Brexit in some ways, whilst protecting their assets, or doing clever buying and selling to ameliorate any losses from it.

The overarching motive either way is private monetary profit.

The 'left' I think, understands this all too well, and sees the 'trickle up' effect of wealth, and capital, attracting more wealth, and capital.

And indeed profiting from the poverty of others - through cheaper wages, people being easier to relieve of commonly held resources, and exploitation of desperation and addiction, gambling, tobacco, cheap thrill of consumer goods and so on.

Well these are the 'lefty type' objections as far as I understand them anyhow.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

lane

Über Member
FWIW I don't think there ever was a plan. Brexit wasn't meant to happen, Gove and Johnson were just showboating for a leadership bid. Cummings IMO got involved not because he thought Brexit should be done but that he could do it. Rees Mogg and his kind are doing it for personal gain. Francois and his lot are doing it because they're Little England pricks.
Johnson is pushing it because in his tiny mind he sees himself as a great figure of historical import which means he must do something dramatic.

There is no plan.
I am fairly sure Boris was showboating for a leadership bid but equally sure Gove wanted Brexit. What I can't work out is, which one was worse.

newfhouse

Elitist lefty
What I can't work out is, which one was worse.
Is Gillian McKeith still in business?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm getting the rhythm of this PM's way of working. Friday he prepares a preannouncement for something to be released on Sunday that tells us that he's going to make an announcement on Tuesday. And that project, astonishingly enough, is called Project Speed.

Top Bottom