"I Boris"...We Really Need to Talk About Johnson

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never thought I'd appreciate Jeremy Hunt during his lifetime, after spending so long denigrating his policies while Health Secretary... but I suppose he was just following his cabinet instructions...

Be interesting, if Johnson can be booted out before 2024, to see what the next leader's manifesto looks like- though I'm not expecting a 'road to Damascus' moment from any of them.

With Rocky's positive view of Hunt, I'm surprised to say I'd be willing to see him have a go!
I have no confidence in the UK voting public to ever vote for the best candidate nor the political parties' ever to select them in the first place.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Though the facts don't merit the headline, there's some suggestion that an increasing number of voters have noticed that Johnson and co are corrupt. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-slashed-as-key-elections-loom-across-britain

Jeremy Hunt was a senior cabinet minister for many years, where he would vote in accordance with collective cabinet responsibility.

His voting record may not (or may) reflect his actual views due to the above.

Any cabinet minister would have a similar voting record. In fact most Tory MPs would have a similar voting record.

The real question is what direction we would think a new leader would take the government? Because the leader sets the direction, tone and strategy of government.

I am not saying Hunt would suddenly become a fine leader with a new direction. What I am saying is a cabinet minister's voting record won't tell us the whole picture aside from the fact that he or she voted in accordance with the party. Which isn't a massive surprise.
Or alternatively, the facts don't match the preferred narrative. :okay:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So the latest report, which is not being denied by No 10 is that party doners were asked to pay for childcare nanny costs.

It all points to the fact that Johnson’s personal finances are in a terrible state and he is very susceptible to bribery and cash for favours.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'll add this here for anyone who doesn't want to follow the Twitter link in my previous post:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...son-faces-court-judgment-over-535-unpaid-debt

Boris Johnson has had a county court judgment issued against him for a debt that has not been repaid, official records show, placing the prime minister at risk of not only a bad credit rating but potential enforcement action by bailiffs arriving at Downing Street.
The official register of county court judgments for England and Wales shows that Johnson had a judgment against him in October last year over an unpaid debt of £535. The register does not give details of to whom the debt is owed.
The judgment, issued on 26 October, is for the online county court, whereby people owed a debt can seek recompense through a web-based form, rather than having to attend court. It is listed as an “unsatisfied record”, meaning it had still not been paid.
The news will increase scrutiny of how Johnson was able to afford to pay for a refurbishment of his Downing Street flat, which reportedly cost up to £200,000, for which he is believed to have paid partly via a loan. The Electoral Commission has begun an inquiry into how the work was funded, saying there were “reasonable grounds” to suspect multiple offences may have been committed.
The relatively small amount of the debt for which the judgment was issued indicates it is likely to have happened through disorganisation rather than an inability to pay.
Johnson has previously had to apologise to MPs for the late declaration of more than £52,000 in income.

So where is his income going? Is he vulnerable to pressure/blackmail from hostile entities?
Is this why his Russian pal (and son of a KGB spy) got a knighthood peerage?

[Edited to correct knighthood to peerage (thanks cookiemonster)]

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I'll add this here for anyone who doesn't want to follow the Twitter link in my previous post:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...son-faces-court-judgment-over-535-unpaid-debt

Boris Johnson has had a county court judgment issued against him for a debt that has not been repaid, official records show, placing the prime minister at risk of not only a bad credit rating but potential enforcement action by bailiffs arriving at Downing Street.
The official register of county court judgments for England and Wales shows that Johnson had a judgment against him in October last year over an unpaid debt of £535. The register does not give details of to whom the debt is owed.
The judgment, issued on 26 October, is for the online county court, whereby people owed a debt can seek recompense through a web-based form, rather than having to attend court. It is listed as an “unsatisfied record”, meaning it had still not been paid.
The news will increase scrutiny of how Johnson was able to afford to pay for a refurbishment of his Downing Street flat, which reportedly cost up to £200,000, for which he is believed to have paid partly via a loan. The Electoral Commission has begun an inquiry into how the work was funded, saying there were “reasonable grounds” to suspect multiple offences may have been committed.
The relatively small amount of the debt for which the judgment was issued indicates it is likely to have happened through disorganisation rather than an inability to pay.
Johnson has previously had to apologise to MPs for the late declaration of more than £52,000 in income.

So where is his income going? Is he vulnerable to pressure/blackmail from hostile entities?
Is this why his Russian pal (and son of a KGB spy) got a knighthood?
Worse than that. He got a peerage.:ohmy:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
While this CCJ may or may not be in respect of a genuine debt, it's hilarious to see the de pfeffel fanclub on tw@tter claiming "It's obviously fake 'cos they've spelt judgement wrong!". My dictionary tells me either spelling is acceptable, but all the official sites I've seen use "judgment", as shown on Peter Walker's screenshot.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Is this why his Russian pal (and son of a KGB spy) got a knighthood peerage?

[Edited to correct knighthood to peerage (thanks cookiemonster)]
The shabbiness still astonishes me.

Top Bottom