I bought a bike-hod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
I bought a bike-hod on ebay a while ago and today was the first time I used it. I have used kiddy trailers and tow-along bikes so I am not unused to towing but this feels very strange. It is attached to the seatpost by some kind of flexible hose. I was wondering is there some sort of ideal angle the trailer needs to be at? because every bump seems to put some unexpected torque on the seatpost making me a little wobbly. Or is that just the way these things ride? the kiddy trailer attached to the back wheel but the tow-along attached to my seat post and didn't seem to flip me around as much as this thing does. I have it attached about 3" up the seat post.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I think the problem is that the Hod is a two wheel trailer that couples high on the bike. Any bump on one of the hod's wheels results in a sideways push under the seat which is high enough to make it feel unstable.

Though I like the tow hitch to be central on a bike, rather then on one side of the rear wheel, I have only put a seat post hitch low down on a Brompton as it is only a little higher then the axle on a full size bike wheel.

I would suggest trying the hitch mount as low as you can on the seat post but check for clearance in normal riding.

Norm

I think the problem is that the Hod is a two wheel trailer that couples high on the bike. Any bump on one of the hod's wheels results in a sideways push under the seat which is high enough to make it feel unstable.
I don't know the Hod but, reading that suggests there is no pivot between the Hod's axle and the seat post. If that's the case, how would you lean the bike?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't know the Hod but, reading that suggests there is no pivot between the Hod's axle and the seat post. If that's the case, how would you lean the bike?
This is the Bike Hod.
bikehod.jpg

I the Hod is coupled with a sort of hose pipe affair.
Bike-hod_hitch_500.jpg

It allows a general sort of flexibility in pitch and yaw but roll is only by the twisting of the tube a small amount. It does work but due to the high mounting any movement in the Hod as it rolls along the ground is translated to disconcerting sideways shoves under saddle.

Top Bottom