I can't back-pedal!!! Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and to cycling really and I have a problem. I got myself a second-hand Mountain bike which needed a bit of work. After cleaning every inch of it, I put it back together and now it won't back-pedal. The chain just kind of sticks at the back (I'm not sure what the names of the bits are). Could it just be a matter of lubrication have I knocked something out?

Would really appreciate some help.

Cheers....

domtyler

Über Member
Double check that you have put the chain back through the correct way running through the dérailleur mechanism. Address the indexing too if your bike has it.

dodgy

Your freehub soulds like it's seized. Hold the wheel at the rim and force the cassette (cogs) to spin back by gripping the chain, give it a gentle tap with something that won't damage the teeth in the direction you want it to spin.

If this doesn't help, you'll probably need to replace the freehub.

Dave.

RedBike

The question has to be asked, why do you want to back pedal?

If you stop pedalling does the bike continue to roll freely? (does it freewheel right?)

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

domtyler said:
Double check that you have put the chain back through the correct way running through the dérailleur mechanism. Address the indexing too if your bike has it.

Is it possible to put it through the wrong way? If it is, I wouldn't rule this out. I'm not sure what indexing is?

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

dodgy said:
Your freehub soulds like it's seized. Hold the wheel at the rim and force the cassette (cogs) to spin back by gripping the chain, give it a gentle tap with something that won't damage the teeth in the direction you want it to spin.

If this doesn't help, you'll probably need to replace the freehub.

Dave.

Is the freehub the entire set of cogs?

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

RedBike said:
The question has to be asked, why do you want to back pedal?

If you stop pedalling does the bike continue to roll freely? (does it freewheel right?)

No it doesn't. I just checked it again and if I push the cogs myself, it does feed through properly. When I cleaned it I may not have lubed it all again properly. Could this be the problem? Which bits do I lube if it is?

Thanks everybody for this by the way!

domtyler

Über Member
Can you post a photo?

Odyssey

Considerng how difficult it is to identify a problem that you can't see, I think your best bet is to take it to someone who knows something about bikes. It may be something very simple.

Unless you can describe it better? I'm not completely sure what you're describing to be honest. Lube shouldn't be a problem, unless something is actually seized. Did it work before you took it to bits?

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Odyssey said:
Considerng how difficult it is to identify a problem that you can't see, I think your best bet is to take it to someone who knows something about bikes. It may be something very simple.

Unless you can describe it better? I'm not completely sure what you're describing to be honest. Lube shouldn't be a problem, unless something is actually seized. Did it work before you took it to bits?

I'm almost certain it worked before I took it too bits.

What happens is when I back pedal, it doesn't feed through the system. It pulls the back bit towards the big pedally bit. The cogs on the freehub (get me eh?) don't move freely enough to feed the chain through. I'm not sure it it makes any sense.

dodgy

Well to me at least, the problem seems very straight forward. I can visualise precisely what you're talking about. You've managed to free up your freehub now anyway, but if it has stuck once, it will probably do it again. The grease has probably been washed out of the freehub and now it is seizing with all the crap in there.

Dave.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My money is on the chain not being routed correctly or not sitting correctly on the jockey wheels.

Top Bottom