I caught a mouse today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh dear, I saw Merlin scuffling about with what I thought was a catnip mouse, when much to my horror it was real! I froze, trying to think of something to throw on it without it disappearing without a trace.

Of course as soon as I moved mousey ran under coffee table. I moved that, cat grabbed him and I dropped cloth over mousey. Picked poor little thing up in cloth, it was so sweet and squeaked at me. Soft me, stroked its head!

I'm not bothered about mice but am afraid of the damage they might do to electric cables in the house. I put him in the bushes and i hope he recovered from the shock as he didn't move for a while.

I know some good recipes if you fancy a snack

Maz

Guru
Lucky mouse to escape your cat! Good on you to set the mouse free.

I found a baby pidgeon (yes, they do exist) in the garden a few months back. Ended up ringing the RSPCA (the sweet-talking lady gently twisted my arm for a donation along the way) for advice on what to do...took it to the vets in the end. No idea what happened to it after that, tbh.:smile:

Milo

Guru
Maz said:

I found a baby pidgeon (yes, they do exist) in the garden a few months back. Ended up ringing the RSPCA (the sweet-talking lady gently twisted my arm for a donation along the way) for advice on what to do...took it to the vets in the end. No idea what happened to it after that, tbh.:smile:
Will have most likely got put down.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Errghhhhh...mice are far from solitary animals, as we discovered two years ago....

What was that line by Arnie...?

"I'll be back" ?

This thread will run and run.:smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"He's a rat isn't he? He's hardly going to get mugged by a gang of field mice....Alright, I'll put an ad in the paper: Wanted, kind home for enormous savage rodent (answers to the name of Sybil)."

Mille

Maz said:

I found a baby pidgeon (yes, they do exist) in the garden a few months back. Ended up ringing the RSPCA (the sweet-talking lady gently twisted my arm for a donation along the way) for advice on what to do...took it to the vets in the end. No idea what happened to it after that, tbh.:wacko:

If it was a feral pidgeon and not a wood one, they are considered to be vermin and probably didn't do that well from your rescue I'm afraid.

Same as squirrels, if you ever find an injured grey and care about it's well being, don't take it to the authorities :smile:

As for the mouse. it's probably dead too. Creatures don't do too well when they are in shock.

Kudos for the rescue effort though.

My cat who died last year caught a mouse. She was so lazy (and had a dodgy leg) that we reckon it was 'seconds' from another cat ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Like a previous poster said, mice are not solitary creatures. I saw one scuttle across the kitchen floor three weeks ago and I bought a couple of mouse traps to eleiminate the problem.

Lots of folk buy a single trap and put it away after the first 'kill'.

I caught two the first night, one three nights later and a fourth a week after that.

I still leave them set just to demonstrate that the mice are now trap savvy or have gone to a less hostile environment.

Norm

Mille said:
If it was a feral pidgeon and not a wood one, they are considered to be vermin and probably didn't do that well from your rescue I'm afraid.

Same as squirrels, if you ever find an injured grey and care about it's well being, don't take it to the authorities :wacko:
Not sure about pigeons but it is illegal to release a grey squirrel in the wild. Which is something that you don't see in the marketing literature for "humane squirrel traps".

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
vernon said:
Like a previous poster said, mice are not solitary creatures. I saw one scuttle across the kitchen floor three weeks ago and I bought a couple of mouse traps to eleiminate the problem.

Lots of folk buy a single trap and put it away after the first 'kill'.

I caught two the first night, one three nights later and a fourth a week after that.

I still leave them set just to demonstrate that the mice are now trap savvy or have gone to a less hostile environment.

We used to think that they were cute, with their beautiful dark eyes, and their amazing acrobatic feats as they nipped outside to leap for the nuts on the bird feeder. But they moved in...big time.

Stage one was to fritter away some money on a "humane trap". Yes, it rhymes with crap, and for good reason.

Stage two is to get a whole load of snap traps of various degrees of sophistication. The score was up to fifteen before exhaustion set in.

Stage three sets in when you discover a whole tray of mouse poo inside your toaster, and you learn about the the lack of bladder control of small rodents. Being a caring kind of a person, you seek out an organic, pet friendly, green poison. It doesn't work .... actually, they gobble it up and come back for more nightly.

Stage four. You have a "no looking back moment". The pogroms of Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Czar Nicolas, and all the other P&L villains are as nothing compared to your terrible desire for mass slaughter on the mouse front.

You reach for planet-busting chemical death. It really works, and quickly as well.

Alternatively, if you do not have a small terrier that simply detests felines, I hear that a cat works well.

Top Bottom