I changed My route!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not that I'm bored of my route or anything…or that I am keen to extend it in any way (god forbid!!).

But I was kinda noodling about on Google last night and it occurred to me that, now that I am happy that I can ride the distance required, I may as well try to make my journey as enjoyable and safe as I can.

To do so, I thought about a route that would remove some of the "nasty" sections of my current route and at the same time I wanted to think about ways that I could reward my self with some form of privilege.

To do that I tried to come up with a route that took in parts of London that you cant get to "easily" in a car, or on a motorbike. I also wanted to look at cramming in a lot of "sights"….. just because they are there and at the moment I miss them in favour of jammed roads and "hot" busses.:biggrin:

So for the first time this morning, I ran my new route and….it was fab!

I now run through some of the most fantastic parts of London ( and famous bits) I ride over Westminster bridge, taking in Big Ben as she is lit in the face by the rising sun (gorgeous), I run along the mall, with all the flag poles rattling in the wind, I go right past Lizzy's front door at "Buck House". I get to ride straight through the Wellington arch (at the bottom of hyde park) HERE and then through ma tiny slip road that cars and bikes cant use into the gorgeous Hyde park where I join the rest of the cyclists all riding in a "private" road with no cars and only squirrels to avoid (this was the best shot I could get from my blackberry)

IMG00175.jpg

Finally I scoot past Kensington palace and head toward Hammersmith for my final leg.

It's a beautiful ride and I am soooo pleased I can mix it up and change things about a bit, the freedom to do so is something you don’t get with any other form of "mechanical" transport and I would strongly advise anyone to try it out…I literally cant wait until tomorrow.:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

Where is this 'London' that you speak of....? :biggrin::smile:

Seriously, it's a change is nice, and if your change takes you on a nicer, quieter and more scenic route, all the better.

Nice one! :biggrin:

HobbesChoice

That sounds excellent Jonny and that photo is fantastic. Especially this time of year when it's cold and crisp with blue skies! I can understand why cycling tomorrow fills you with that excitement! It's how it should be.

Thanks for sharing that! I think I'll have a little google earth time today and see what other routes I can find into grotty ol' Essex! There are parts of my route which are starting to feel a tad tedious, although there are still parts of it I really enjoy.

Oh, and thanks to you I had the Great Escape theme tune running through my head (and out my mouth) on last night's commute! :biggrin: The lack of fog didn't do it justice though!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
HobbesChoice said:
Oh, and thanks to you I had the Great Escape theme tune running through my head (and out my mouth) on last night's commute! :smile: The lack of fog didn't do it justice though!

Glad to be of help!!!:biggrin:

ianrauk said:
a change is as good as a rest as they say.
What's the mileage now Jonny?

I think its a wisp under 20 miles so not really any difference there. My route home has always been about 20 so I should have no trouble.

Going to be interesting to see if the route is as "exciting" without all the nasty bits...That makes me sound like some adrenaline junkie...but I do find the route home is often a bit lonely and quiet as apposed to the "cut and thrust" of earls courts in the morning's

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Very nice. I've now got 4 or 5 different routes i can use depending on mood, traffic, trains and weather, great to have options.

Never fancied living in London much, but every time i go there i'm captivated by the landmarks.

HobbesChoice

BentMikey said:
Nice one Jonny! I might take a leaf out of your book.

Here's a challenge for another day: find the hilliest route you can.

In this cold weather I find my cycling is so much stronger, so I may also take you up on that hill challenge BM. A great idea! My route is a bit slopey at best (or worst depending how you look at it! :biggrin:) so finding a prettier but hillier route sounds like a great plan.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
jonny jeez said:
That's simple...I'll just follow you home one night!!! :biggrin:

I dunno, the few times I've gone through Chislehurst some of the hills seem much worse than any I have to contend with. Kirkdale to the A205 is nice, and even better on the home route. I've not tried Pepys Rd yet, that's on my to-do list.

Top Bottom