I climbed Beacon Fell - and I so want a road bike now!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wanted to share, had a fantastic ride today, me and puddleglum signed up for one of the rides organised by our local council, guided by members of Ribble Valley Cycle Club, which including getting to the start point and back turned out to be a 55 miler in glorious sunshine. Can't remember exactly where we went, but wherever it was, it was rather hilly. Route included Longridge, Chipping, BEACON FELL (and I made it to the top without stopping!!!!! :thumbsup:), Calder Vale, some reservoirs near somewhere, Scorton, Elswick, Pilling, Garstang and various other places I can't remember... It was really good fun (have slight case of sunburn tho, despite creaming myself quite happily :tongue:), although my legs are definitely tired now.

I was fine on my mtb, but most people, especially those from the club were on roadbikes, and I think I have been bitten by the roadbike bug - I really want one now (and as the optimum number of bikes is n+1, I'm clearly underequipped on the bikefront anyway ;)). Can someone please send me a winning lottery ticket or a cheque made out in my name please??? :tongue:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Well done pp, 'tis a wonderful area for cycling provided you have the knees! If you can climb like that on a heavyweight mtb, you'll fly up on a roadbike. Oh..hang on....*rummages in pocket for virtual chequebook*.......*scribbles with virtual pen* Here take this virtual cheque towards your new Colnago. All the best.

longers

Legendary Member
Another well done from me too :tongue:. I rode through the Trough twice at the beginning of May coming back over Beacon Fell and it is glorious cycling country indeed. I'm jealous of how good it will have been on such a beautiful day as today but am riding there next sunday.

Hope your next bike isn't too long in the waiting for ;)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
mondobongo said:
Aye it was glorious around Chipping and Scorton today. What time were you in Scorton Punky?

Not sure anymore to be quite honest, it's all melting into one...it was early afternoon...about 2-ish I think, but that might be completely out...The pub was packed with loads of other groups of cyclists! Were there for about 40mins I think...

punkypossum said:
Just wanted to share, had a fantastic ride today, me and puddleglum signed up for one of the rides organised by our local council, guided by members of Ribble Valley Cycle Club, which including getting to the start point and back turned out to be a 55 miler in glorious sunshine. Can't remember exactly where we went, but wherever it was, it was rather hilly. Route included Longridge, Chipping, BEACON FELL (and I made it to the top without stopping!!!!! :biggrin:), Calder Vale, some reservoirs near somewhere, Scorton, Elswick, Pilling, Garstang and various other places I can't remember... It was really good fun (have slight case of sunburn tho, despite creaming myself quite happily :tongue:), although my legs are definitely tired now.

I was fine on my mtb, but most people, especially those from the club were on roadbikes, and I think I have been bitten by the roadbike bug - I really want one now (and as the optimum number of bikes is n+1, I'm clearly underequipped on the bikefront anyway ;)). Can someone please send me a winning lottery ticket or a cheque made out in my name please??? :thumbsup:

Well, er, yes!
Seems like you're an ideal candidate for a new roadie.
Have a look at what's available/affordable and get some advice from the folk here! :tongue:

great stuff.
i was round beacon fell a few weeks ago. it's got great views.sounds like you did oakenclogh fell and possibly harrisend fell as well. plenty of climbing!
it's great round there.
i beleive you're not too far from the best value road bikes in the country, at ribble.

postman

Legendary Member
Ah Beacon Fell Country Park.I know it well and you have beaten me to it.My in-laws live in Goosnargh.And i intend to do the fell from their house.It is mostly flat all the way.And only rises when approaching the fell it's self.A half decent cafe aswell.To mention cafes,a new one has opened in Goosnargh,Carolines Tea Shop.It is on the junction of Church Lane and Whittingham Lane.Look out for The Stags Pub and the Post Office and shop.It is across the road.All you Lancs cyclists give her some of you custom.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
piedwagtail91 said:
great stuff.
i was round beacon fell a few weeks ago. it's got great views.sounds like you did oakenclogh fell and possibly harrisend fell as well. plenty of climbing!
it's great round there.
i beleive you're not too far from the best value road bikes in the country, at ribble.

That's it...harrisend! That was the other meany! It's coming back to me now...which is fair enough...

As for Ribble, yes, they might be good value, but at the moment I couldn't even afford a supermarket bike, so I'll will just have to dream of shiny metal and carbon forks for a bit...

I was quite tempted by the fanatics route on the W4W, but puddlglum has gone on strike and says she wants something a bit more leisurely for a change...

postman said:
Ah Beacon Fell Country Park.I know it well and you have beaten me to it.My in-laws live in Goosnargh.And i intend to do the fell from their house.It is mostly flat all the way.And only rises when approaching the fell it's self.A half decent cafe aswell.To mention cafes,a new one has opened in Goosnargh,Carolines Tea Shop.It is on the junction of Church Lane and Whittingham Lane.Look out for The Stags Pub and the Post Office and shop.It is across the road.All you Lancs cyclists give her some of you custom.

i'll mention the new cafe to the clubmates, it may be a bit near home for us , but we have ways of making it a good ride!

Top Bottom