I did it, I did it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
...I finally punctured a Marathon Plus tyre.

It took 7237 miles and a 2-inch metal spike.

I never thought I'd succeed.

So if you want to puncture your Marathon Plus, I'll let you in on a secret - sidewall is where it's at.

I've become complacent with the M+ booted utility bike. Dont bother with a spare tube, tyre levers, etc.

That'll be me walking later on then .

sabian92

Über Member
I wondered if anybody had actually done it. I've got them on my bike and i've never even had to get the crap out from between the tread.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Did you manage to get the bugger off, then back on though :tongue:

Yeah - no problem.

After that sort of mileage they'd become quite malleable.

I did struggle to change the tube though. Been that long since I last did it, I forgot how to.:tongue:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I managed it twice when I used to commute on my MTB - a very long brass nail/tack and a huge shard of glass were the causes.

M+ aren't invincible, but it does take extremely bad luck to get a flat (and I'm just doubly-unlucky!)

rowan 46

Über Member
I had 5 in one day once 4 in the front 1 in the back. thorns were the secret of my success I think it was april and for some reason the roads were littered with bits of twigs of blackthorn when I got a new puncture the next day I decided that cycling the country lanes of that particular area of shropshire was too much bother.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Over 8,000 Marathon Plus puncture free miles for me. I carry a spare tube and levers etc in the knowledge that if I were to ditch them I'd be guaranteed to pick up a nail!

Mozzy

I had 5 in one day once 4 in the front 1 in the back. thorns were the secret of my success I think it was april and for some reason the roads were littered with bits of twigs of blackthorn when I got a new puncture the next day I decided that cycling the country lanes of that particular area of shropshire was too much bother.

I too have M+, but with Blackthorn I do not believe there is a tyre in the world that will stand up to them. I was working a Bonsai BT the other day for someone and even with heavy duty gauntlets on that 'normally' thwart anything, I got some decent holes in my skin. Evil buggles, evil
blush.gif

Mozzy

Top Bottom