I did something silly the other day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On Wednesday I did a silly thing. After visiting my Mum I called at the Co-op on the way back for a few items of food. I locked my bike up outside, did my shopping & came out to unlock my bike - but had brought the wrong bunch of keys, having used a different lock. Oh 'dear me' or similar words!!! What on earth can I do, I'm 4 miles from home, it's not far off being dark.

I realized there was an infrequent bus service & had to wait 30 minutes for a bus, then get another one to home. I'd forgotten my husband's old faithful yellow van was parked up at home so fortunately I didn't have to go back in the dark as I didn't know where my lights were.

Normally I carry a lock on the handlebars, so I have to unlock before locking but this one had been put in the panniers & I completely forgot to check.

Has anyone else done anything stupid like that? It's my age, you know!

Davidc

Guru
both of my D locks need the key to lock them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here - my locks all need the key - deffo go do that....... good job really for me.... head....where did I leave that....? Good job it's stuck on....

Bman

Guru
I store my locks in the locked position too, so also need the keys to lock the bike.

I have however nearly left my keys at home. A few times. Getting to my destination unable to lock my bike would be infuriating!

Left the keys outside a Gite d'etape on a touring holiday in France. Wrapped the locks 'convincingly' around the bikes after that. :evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
User1314 said:
I take my bike into supermarkets for shopping. If I can't, I don't go into the place. I really don't want my bike nicked. I shop in the same places more or less and the guards have got to know me and always let me through now, or put the bike somewhere safe inside the shop.

You must live some where very nice....... :evil: or are you an awkward old git..... :laugh::biggrin:

Chamfus Flange

When to Woking with the other half on the bikes. Just as I locked the bike I realised I'd left the key at home. Other half not impressed, so I consoled her in a cafe and went home by bus for the car (and key).

Mr Pig

I never use a lock. If I'm not happy to leave the bike unlocked I'm not happy to leave it at all. Where I live you 'never' see bikes chained up as the local cherubs would help themselves to any part of the bike not chained. The only bikes left lying are ones that no one would bother to steal.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've certainly gone shopping and forgotten to take the lock - but like the above I have to unlock my D-lock to use it. (I have thought about keeping a spare key in the pannier in case I ever loose my keys whilst out and about).

OP
OP
Campfire

Campfire

Über Member
Ah well, I'm not on my own then. I've been looking for the other key to that lock but can't find it unless it's on the ring I gave my neighbour with my housekey. Having to unlock before locking is what I usually do.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
My local shop (a Tesco Express) lets me leave even the trike inside the store, tucked into the corner next to the sliding doors. Exchanging cheerful greetings with the security guard pays dividends: he generally stands next to it while I'm doing my shopping. :-)

postman

Legendary Member
Did that a few years ago Went to pick up some cycling medals i had ordered for a sponsored ride i had organised.Wrong key.Had to borrow saw from the guy in the shop .
Never done it since.

Top Bottom