I "dislike" this time of year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Lovely riding at this time of year. Still in a short sleeve jersey and shorts at the moment, my only concession being light full finger gloves for the morning chill on my commute. If this continues I'll likely still be wearing short sleeve through to November.
Yes, it's a nice crisp day today and my work is light - I'm off out!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Will you southerners please stop going on about your wonderful autumn weather! Because that high pressure system that you are sitting under is sending all the low pressure systems round the top of it. It started to rain here on Saturday night and doesn't look like stopping any time soon. Very windy too, with 60+ mph forecast for Friday/Saturday.

Today:

Screenshot (16).png

Smudge

Veteran
After the horrendous heatwaves we had this summer, i'm loving this cooler weather.
Far more healthier..... and i dont get the flu because i have a flu jab every year.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I love this time of year. My complaint is the extra kit you have to carry on long rides. Early morning you could be wearing overshoes, jacket, long sleeves or arm warmers gilet etc. And by lunch you could be down to summer kit. And personally, on rides of 12 hours +, I start to get cold when I tire, so I might be kitting up again as it gets dark.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
It’s more the difference lurgy that’s around this time of year that I dislike, previous autumn/winters have been my most active.

Ice/Fog/Strong wind I try and avoid.

classic33

Leg End Member
After the horrendous heatwaves we had this summer, i'm loving this cooler weather.
Far more healthier..... and i dont get the flu because i have a flu jab every year.
It got a little bit warm, nowt else.

lane

Veteran
Reading this thread has reminded me of what I like about this time of year (can get some cracking sunny days but not too hot) and what I don't (mainly getting dark earlier). I prefer spring and autumn and dislike winter and also summer if it gets too hot (like this year).

Smudge

Veteran
[QUOTE 5405880, member: 9609"]think I just love it all. Last winter was just the best, just love spring and the countryside coming back into life, and how could anyone complain about this summer, best ever. And now the wild days of Autumn, more freash air than you could ever imagine, leaves are starting to change now and it's going to look so spectacular as it always does. been watching squirrels burrying nuts in the garden this afternoon - how brilliant is that.[/QUOTE]

Myself and many others complained about it. It was excessively hot, touching 30c down south here with high humidity. These heatwaves can be extremely debilitating and even dangerous for the elderly and those with certain health conditions.
I used to love high 20's c heat when i was younger, the hotter the better.... but now it doesn't agree with me at all and i'm far from being the only one.

Alan O

Über Member
Myself and many others complained about it. It was excessively hot, touching 30c down south here with high humidity. These heatwaves can be extremely debilitating and even dangerous for the elderly and those with certain health conditions.
I used to love high 20's c heat when i was younger, the hotter the better.... but now it doesn't agree with me at all and i'm far from being the only one.
I actually really enjoyed cycling during this summer's heatwave even though I've just reached 60 (and have a heart condition). It probably helps that I've spent a lot of time (including living and working) in tropical climates, and keeping my hydration up is second nature to me now - it's weird the way you can become dehydrated in the heat without getting thirsty, but the key is to keep on drinking anyway. On my biggest ride of the year in July of 105 miles, I drank 8.5 litres while peeing probably only around 300ml - that's how much you can lose through sweat without realising.

Anyway, my real thought is that I reckon we're very lucky with the climate in the UK, largely because of the variation. I know we get a lot of rain (though I do like going out on my MTB in search of mud when it's raining - particularly that light Spring drizzle we get, which I love). And though I love the Summer sun, the cold crisp Winter days we get here are also wonderful. Today it's a beautiful clear Autumn day, and I'm stuck behind a keyboard working (well, writing this when I should be working). Grrr!

Alan O

Über Member
[QUOTE 5405880, member: 9609"]been watching squirrels burrying nuts in the garden this afternoon - how brilliant is that.[/QUOTE]
Around here they're so tame they'll come rushing towards me when I go out in the garden with a bag of nuts - and if I sit down still and quiet, they'll even sometimes come and take nuts out of my hand. Then they go off and bury them (usually only a few feet away) and come back for more.

Top Bottom