I don't get it :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RossM

As per the title of this - I just don't "get" cycling.

Bit of background - I bought a (by my standards) reasonably expensive bike and the usual gear (helmet, lights, lock, hi-vis etc etc) through my Bike To Work scheme quite a while ago. At first I was cycling part of the way to work (commute involves a train) and found it tough - I am very overweight - and then when the weather turned, my enthusiasm waned and I've never gone back to it. Therefore I have a nice bike and lots of gear sitting round doing nothing.

I keep pretending to myself that reading this forum will encourage me to get back on the bike but I just simply can't be bothered. I keep reading about the appeal and getting bitten by the bike-riding bug but it just didn't happen and I just simply can't motivate myself to get the bike out - always finding excuses eg too wet, too cold and too dark.

I'm not after a magic answer, just some thoughts on how to get started again - In my head I really want to enjoy cycling but just don't have the "oomph" to do it.

scotty110788

think you need to stop making excuses and just get out even just for a short ride and find that bug. i know rain, wind etc... can put a dampner on bike rides and make it more a slog rather than something to enjoy so if you see a gap of sunshine, stop what you are doin and get out there :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Pick something and say that you will always cycle to ... don't give yourself a choice, whether it is work, a mates house, the library, something you do routinely that isn't too far to go. Wintertime is hard to get the motivation when you are in the house but once you are out it is normally not as bad as you think (this week may not be the best week to start in that respect - it was absolutely freezing out there today!!)

I don't do that many pleasure rides in winter time, just using it as a mode of transport, but I don't give myself the option to take the car to work - that way I don't have to spend ages persuading myself to get the bike out, I just do it. Some cyclists are committed fair weather cyclists only and they start to reappear out of the woodwork in a month or two...

Once on the bike I love the sensation of propelling myself along (as long as it isn't a big hill), being nosey as I pass all the houses:smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Wait for a sunny day. Go for a SHORT ride somewhere pleasant - enjoy the scenery, birds singing, etc.
Come home. Feel smug that you've exercised.

Repeat a few times on sunny days. Begin to notice that is is easier to do 5 miles, and try a bit longer.

Notice that you are feeling fitter/looking trimmer....

DO NOT try commuting to work (when you feel you have to get on the bike) until you decide you want to

jamin100

Guru
the hardest part is getting out the first time. Once thats out the way I find its generally not too bad.
I commute 3 days a week and always hate cycling on mondays but make myself do it. Once im up and out i feel great and am always glad I did it. The other 2 days are then relatively easy to get motivated

It's a habit.

Habits take at least 30 days of going against what you are used to to make (or break), ever tried to stop smoking.

Get out on the bike for a short spin every weekend. It doesn't have to be hard, fast or far.
As for the cold, wet dark excuses. It's getting lighter and warmer soon (although probably just as wet)
Once that is comfortable, have another go at (part) commuting once a week ... then twice ...

If it still doesn't do anything for you, don't sweat it. It's not everyones cup of tea.

BSRU

A Human Being
Watching the video about the 39 stone cyclist and reading his blog should help.

Give yourself a goal, and then make it so it is easier to strive for the goal rather than putting it off, so shout about it.

OP
OP
R

RossM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I know that I'm looking for excuses and like the idea of weekend cycling, think I might try that one first. As for selling the gear and going on holiday - I didn't spend that much !! To be honest, I thought I'd bought an expensive bike until I came on here ^_^ !!

Where's the 39 stone cyclist info ?

Camrider

No easy answer to this as it is a bit of a catch 22 situation. Being overweight does make doing any form of exercise hard, but if you do find a form of exercise you do enjoy then it easier to overcome that. I've managed to shed 30 kg since this time last year and cycling has part big part in that, but I do enjoy getting out on a bike even in winter so that has been relatively easy.

In your situation I would wait until the warmer weather comes round before attempting to get back in the saddle, but in the mean time try and get the weight down with an alternative form of exercise that the winter weather can't put you off like swimming in a nice heated pool. That way you should be a bit fitter come April / May time and you may just start to enjoy spinning those pedals.

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I know that I'm looking for excuses and like the idea of weekend cycling, think I might try that one first. As for selling the gear and going on holiday - I didn't spend that much !! To be honest, I thought I'd bought an expensive bike until I came on here ^_^ !!

Where's the 39 stone cyclist info ?
His blog is
http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/
His username is gb155

BSRU

A Human Being

col

Legendary Member
You need to get a positive attitude, sounds like you have given up. Maybe depression has got you a bit? Think positive and just do little bits at a time, go for walks too, its amazing how a walk can make you feel better about things, and they are easy, just go out the front door and walk. Doesnt have to be anywhere, and do some thinking while your out. Above all be positive.

Top Bottom