I don't understand motorists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having been commuting in South London for well over twenty years now I have a more than fair understanding of what motorists are trying to convey when they heartily hail cyclists through their windows and sunroofs.

Last night, a motorist complimenting me on my well chosen and finely held primary remarked:
"How much facking space d'yer need?"
and
"Yer all over the facking rahd."

Both are well known and commonly used phrases that I had no problem understanding. However, I was quite flummoxed when he said "Yer not on a facking Bosch." What did he mean?

If this is a reference to a low powered two wheeler then I'm comfortable that this is not a misapprehension I possess and may dismiss his words as mere banter. If, on the other hand there is some significant, nuanced interpretation that I am ignorant of he may well have had a valid point. Something I could learn from possibly? Would someone enlighten me?

Maybe he has a diction problem and meant " you are not on a BUS ", indicating he thought you were taking up too much room ?

In which case it was just a mild rebuke by many standards and I wouldn't dwell on it.

RSV_Ecosse

I can't abide motorists with that sort of attitude.

I know it's always better to try and ignore them, but it gets to the stage where you think "Why should I take that sort of abuse?".

What gives them the right to shout insults at us and then feel all smug about it?.

I think in this instance, a loud and audible "Fack off yerself" would have been my choice of reply. :biggrin:

wafflycat

User1314 said:
Maybe it was a deliberate and surreal obtuse reference to the Medieval painter of grotesques and horrors, Hieronymus Bosch.
Perhaps he was alluding that you as a cyclist was in his mind representative of sin, the fall of man and sexual depravity, thus deserving of an eternity in Hell being racked by red-hot pincers at the hands of Old Nick’s acolytes.

The above has to be read in a Brian Sewell accent...:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
User1314 said:
Maybe it was a deliberate and surreal obtuse reference to the Medieval painter of grotesques and horrors, Hieronymus Bosch.
Perhaps he was alluding that you as a cyclist was in his mind representative of sin, the fall of man and sexual depravity, thus deserving of an eternity in Hell being racked by red-hot pincers at the hands of Old Nick’s acolytes.

:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
User1314 said:

Quality! :biggrin:

yenrod

zimzum42 said:
Were you riding a German?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
benborp

benborp

Guru
User1314, you may have a point.

AJ755YCVF58LBN%2413.jpg

Eerily similar to Penge I think.

User1314 said:

Or maybe he was just another tw@t in a car...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom