I feel sick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the way home tonight on a fast flat section of road (I was on the hybrid so it wasn't that fast, be sub 18mph) outside some local shops (parking is usually heavy) I sub consciously caught a glimpse of around 5-6, 8 or 9 years old girls around an adult in the corner of my left eye. The kids suddenly decided suddenly to run across the road in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes it was a bit greasy and I could've went down but I wasn't worried about that just the kids. Luckily when the adult shouted to them, they stopped but I still feel sickxx(

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Awww have a nice Brandy and Pep to settle your tum H.

Talking of little girls, it is now the 3rd night that I have copped the same ones (around 10 yrs old), wobbling around on their Barbie bikes ON THE ROAD and with NO LIGHTS. I spoke to them gently on Tuesday but it obviously didn't mean jack.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
snapper_37 said:
Awww have a nice Brandy and Pep to settle your tum H.

Talking of little girls, it is now the 3rd night that I have copped the same ones (around 10 yrs old), wobbling around on their Barbie bikes ON THE ROAD and with NO LIGHTS. I spoke to them gently on Tuesday but it obviously didn't mean jack.

And when they get mown-down it'll no doubt be the fault of the police / government / social workers / you for not calling the police after seeing them. Anyone other than those who should be taking responsibility for their own kids.

Where the heck are the parents ? ;)

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
goo_mason said:
Where the heck are the parents ? ;)

Exactly. I find it very strange that they are in the same place at the same time all week (well, during my commute). They look sisters and the ice the last few nights! I felt like an old school ma'am giving them a telling off.

Maybe if I see them tomorrow I will get off the bike and point out the lack of visibility. I use the said road often and I know I would have struggled to see them in my car.

It does make you wonder.

goo_mason

snapper_37 said:
Exactly. I find it very strange that they are in the same place at the same time all week (well, during my commute). They look sisters and the ice the last few nights! I felt like an old school ma'am giving them a telling off.

Maybe if I see them tomorrow I will get off the bike and point out the lack of visibility. I use the said road often and I know I would have struggled to see them in my car.

It does make you wonder.

Reminds me of a few years ago when the police were called out to a spot near my flat at around 1am, after reports from a number of drivers that kids were lobbing stones and bricks at them from the side of the road.

The police were shocked when they arrived to find one of the kids was a 2yr-old in a nappy. When they took the kids home, the parents reportedly said "We didnae ken he wiz oot...".

goo_mason

But back on track - sorry to hear that, HlaB. It's not nice to get a fright like that, especially when you think you're about to injure a child through no fault of your own.

Have a virtual stiff drink from me, and now go and put your feet up and distract yourself with a comedy DVD !

dondare

Über Member
Peds will step out. Children are especially likely to but absolutely anyone has the capacity to just walk or even run out into the road without looking, sometimes from behind cover. I've collided with peds a two or three times as they emerged from behind stationary vehicles and run straight into me or into my path.

I'm very impressed with this clip from a motoring article by none other than Jeremy Clarkson. He wasn't on a bike, of course, but when it really mattered he was acting in a most unpetrolheaded way that we could all learn from.

"After seeing a body for the first time I have genuinely slowed down a bit. Coming home from London the other night I pulled out to overtake when I was 98% certain the road ahead was clear. But then an image of that poor man’s twisted head popped into my head and I abandoned the manoeuvre before it had really begun.

Yesterday, while driving into my local town, a mother was walking down the pavement with a little girl of three or four. Normally I’d have slowed and covered the brake in case the toddler leapt into the road, but after my South African experience, I damn nearly stopped.

And I can’t tell you how that felt when, moments later, the little girl did indeed run into the road. That dead biker, then, 6,000 miles away in Johannesburg, had unwittingly saved the life of a little girl in England.

You may think this all a bit too convenient. A bit too editorial. But it happened. I really was thinking of the dead man, and braking when the girl ran out. If I’d been doing 30 I’d have hit her. But I was doing 10, maybe less. So I didn’t. "

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I nearly had a kid run out infront of me in a village i was going through. Doing about 20mph i saw about 3 kids by the side of the road with an adult. Next thing one went to go accross the road, but the adult did grab them, and i was over enough that if he did run i would of probably missed him.
I did have a dream once where a small child ran out infront of me, i missed them but they kepy going and i saw them being hit by a car. Bit strange:wacko:

Top Bottom