I feel the need........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
....the need for (single) speed.

I have aquired a bike on a permanent loan basis, and given the green light to give it the single-speed make-over treatment.

Pic shortly.

Running total so far - £0.00

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
View attachment 5951

It's a Raleigh of some sort, with 501 tubing. :girl:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've got a cannondale I run as a single speed - I've also got a nice Raleigh 501 frame in stock and I'm kind of keen on the idea of sticking the bits on the 501 frame.

You've got the makings of a nice bike there and white is good colour for a bike too IMO.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The white is impregnated with green flecks, but you can't see it from that pic. The finish is a bit shabby, with small flaky bits of r*st in places. I have a mate who does powder coating, and will ring him tomorrow for a price to do the frame. I could have it rolling in a week or so...?

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Estimate for sand blasting £15.00
Estimate for powder coating - £10.00
Bars - either use existing, or cut them off Bull Horn stylee.
Bar tape - looking now.
Chain - looking now.
Gear / drive - looking now.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blimey, 25 squids - you must live 'oop norf or summat...

That's going to make a nice beastie. Any particular reason for going ss rather than fixed? I ask at least in part because if money is an issue (and it seems to be) a fixed conversion is dirt cheap. Just take off the freewheel, screw on a 16t sprocket (a fiver from SJC, +/-), redish the wheel and away you go.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've been playing with both recently on the same frame and apart from the fixed being easier to control at low speeds, I see no advantage to it. I find it no easier to climb hills on and you need to pedal like hell to maintain a decent speed going down them. It is fun in it's own way but I don't believe it offers any practical benefit.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Frame & forks now ready to be sand blasted and powder coated. Should have it back by this time next week. Meanwhile the search goes on for spokes, rims, hubs, cranks, pedals, chain ring, chain and rear sprocket.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Got the frame back, now to get it to the powder-coating - that will be tuesday.

Quick question (if anyone is looking) I have bosses on the downtube of the frame for attaching the gear levers; should I have them cut off, or just paint them so they are there if I ever want to convert it back to geared?

Noodley

ComedyPilot said:
I have bosses on the downtube of the frame for attaching the gear levers; should I have them cut off, or just paint them so they are there if I ever want to convert it back to geared?

Do you think you'll ever want to convet it back?

Answer Yes, leave them
Answer No, cut them off or leave them anyway...

Top Bottom