I fell down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevejo

So. I'm riding to work this morning on my 21/2 year old GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc, slight descent on a smooth paved cyclepath when I suddenly have no control over the bike and next thing I am sliding along on my back. Examine the bike and amazed to find the left lower section of the Suntour front fork has completely split in half, a clean straight line full diameter midway along the fork.
ChainReaction unable to help since bike out of warranty, suggest I might send fork directly to Suntour. Anybody have similar experience?

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd suggest that under the Sale of Goods Act, CRC do have some responsibility. Unless there is evidence of the fork being damaged, it sounds like a manufacturing fault which was present when the bike was sold. Forks should not 'split in half' in normal use, and should certainly last a lot longer than 30 months, so this fork was not fit for purpose when sold.

snailracer

Über Member
If you are looking to claim for damages, CRC or the manufacturer would probably not be top of the list to return the broken forks to, as those parties have a vested interest in avoiding liability. In this case, your best bet might be to have a proper bike shop get an engineer's report on the forks and take CRC to small claims court.
If you are just looking for satisfaction, your local Trading Standards office might be a good bet if you reckon the forks have a design or manufacturing flaw that needs sorting.

400bhp

Guru
If you are looking to claim for damages, CRC or the manufacturer would probably not be top of the list to return the broken forks to, as those parties have a vested interest in avoiding liability. In this case, your best bet might be to have a proper bike shop get an engineer's report on the forks and take CRC to small claims court.
If you are just looking for satisfaction, your local Trading Standards office might be a good bet if you reckon the forks have a design or manufacturing flaw that needs sorting.

I'd agree with this. But be warned, Trading Standards are like chocolate fireguards.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'd start with Trading Standards: they might not be interested in the case as such, but should be able to give you some impartial advice as to where responsibility lies and what options are open to you.

Your local office may well redirect you to the office local to CRC.

Top Bottom