I got within 2 metres of a dear yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...up around High wood, quiet lane, as I came up over the ridge there she was in the middle of the lane...beautiful. I slowed down and rolled up as close as I dared. She didnt run...just looked at me as if to say " Ok..so who the heck are you?"...I stayed like that for a minute...really cool...I could almost touch her....then a frigging van came down the lane and she disappeared, bouncing into the wood.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Was it an old dear? You really shouldn't creep up on old ladies like that! They fought in the war you know, had powdered eggs an' all, terrible it were. :biggrin:

Seriously though, they're lovely to see in the wild, aren't they!

ChrisKH

Guru
Regrettably I drove past a dead young one the other day on the way to an Anglo-Saxon village re-enactment in Suffolk. I did suggest throwing it into the back for an open pit barbecue type thing but wifey thought it was taking the participative aspect of my son's school project too far!

girofan

It could have been an old dear Fnaar. Or it might have been expensive.
Not as expensive as Prince Harry's bird kill though. He should stick to deer hunting dear.

you only need to get within about 200m, that and a good telescopic sight zeroed in on your gun should do it, saves arsing about trying to get close enough to wrestle them to the ground :biggrin:

Hmmm ... are those Venison burgers still in the freezer I wonder ....

wafflycat

Loads of deer in Norfolk - the place is overrun. They are a common sight when I'm out pootling the lanes. Even get the odd one coming into the garden - to be chased by the real Wafflycat, who, although she is only six pounds in weight, minus many fangs, has only one eye and a metal pin in a rear leg, has no doubt that she *can* bring home the bacon, err.. venizon, through the cat flap!

loads of them in richmond park... although the cull is on at the moment.

i say they should introduce wolves to the park to keep numbers down. that'll spice up night rides too, trying to avoid them as they roar around in their red hatchback, singing away.

L

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tim Bennet. said:
My pussy would sometimes bring home Dik-dik.
slocombe247x165.jpg

laurence said:

i say they should introduce wolves to the park to keep numbers down. that'll spice up night rides too, trying to avoid them as they roar around in their red hatchback, singing away.

L

That's funny laurence. :biggrin: -even the deer in RP are a bit ott sometimes, let alone chavvy wolves - at night - on wheel - yikes! Besides, wolves wouldn't be very good for cyclists as they are known to be wanderers... :biggrin:

laurence said:

L

How on earth do they cull them safely? They have to be shot with a rifle and the shooter has to make sure that there's a safe backstop in case he misses or the bullet goes straight through. This is normally done by shooting against a hillside. Are there any mini hills in Richmond Park?

Top Bottom