I had a crash last wk...

How much have you spent on your bike since buying it ?

• NONE

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • UNDER £500

• £500 - £1000

• Over £1000

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Which took out my left STI lever :biggrin:

Anyway, was wondering how much you've spent on your 'mount' since acquiring it :ohmy:

Twice what I paid for it - but it was a restoration project.

I spent four or five hundred quid at Longstaff's in Stoke for Mr Longstaff himself to respray my old Galaxy and supply me with lots of shiny new XT kit a few years back. That's quite a lot more than the bike was (and is) worth, but it was worth it to me!
That's the exception for me though. I prefer to find bits in skips and recycle them onto my bikes, or buy secondhand and use what bits I have knocking about.

Rhythm Thief said:
I spent four or five hundred quid at Longstaff's in Stoke for Mr Longstaff himself to respray my old Galaxy and supply me with lots of shiny new XT kit a few years back. That's quite a lot more than the bike was (and is) worth, but it was worth it to me!
That's the exception for me though. I prefer to find bits in skips and recycle them onto my bikes, or buy secondhand and use what bits I have knocking about.

I have a plan to do this one day - my Galaxy has the chrome forks and they are tarnished somewhat, so a new coat of green all over with new decals would be lovely. Just the cost is putting me off...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
since original purchase, my carrera has had a full tiagra groupset, new wheels, saddle, seatpost, pedals, carbon forks plus all the usual consumables. has only the frame and bars left unchanged.

cost of bike: £250

cost of extras: prefer not to think about it!

alecstilleyedye said:
since original purchase, my carrera has had a full tiagra groupset, new wheels, saddle, seatpost, pedals, carbon forks plus all the usual consumables. has only the frame and bars left unchanged.

cost of bike: £250

cost of extras: prefer not to think about it!

Arrrrr go on tell us:biggrin:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

>cost of extras: prefer not to think about it!

Similiar vibe here - shoes, pedals, new shifters, c.set, s.post...wheels (warranty issue though)..

Including a Lightspin dynamo, Bush + Muller stoplights front and back and a new Brooks saddle, plus all the aforementioned XT kit and a brief flirtation with different models of dynamo, I must have spant around £700 on my Galaxy, including the purchase price. What could I have bought if I'd just gone out and spent, say, £750 on a tourer?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
spandex said:
Arrrrr go on tell us:biggrin:

off the top of my head (rough figures):

upgrade to full tiagra 9 speed groupset: about £220

new wheels: £65

pedals: £30

saddle: £25

seatpost: £20

about £45 in tyres, £70 in lbs re-cabling (which i now do myself), £20 in bar tape and god knows what on blocks.

so more than the bike is worth, but actually not too bad as similarly equipped alu framed bikes don't cost much less than this, so you could say i've bought it in installments.

Top Bottom