I Hate Summer Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very unpleasant I agree, although I'm not sure if it's worse than catching one of the buggers full in the face when you're doing 30+ down the other side.
Especially when it is one of what @kimble once charmingly called, iirc, a 400Ω flying thing.
View attachment 410564
Got one of those in the lip at some speed while descending once. Ouchie. Antihistamines ftw.

I also got a greenish leggy flying thing land on my back/shoulder while winching and inching my way up a (very lovely) hill on Arran once. Poor sod ended up involuntarily repatriated at least half a mile, to the top of the hill, because I couldn't brush it off without wobbling too much, the wind was non-existent due to slow speed so it didn't get blown away, and I wasn't going to stop and try to hill start and get going again to save it the hassle of navigating home.

Last edited:

Serge

Über Member
Doesn't matter. A slightly smaller one of the swines will still go up your nose xx(
You need to grow some luxurious nostril hair like me, amoeba couldn't pass.

Tim Hall

Don't do this:[QUOTE 5252559, member: 10119"]*snorts, deeply unattractively but without any hirsute nasal impediment, with laughter*[/QUOTE]
When cycling here:
[QUOTE 5252402, member: 10119"]
One of my commute-routes does take me past the 'water' treatment works, aka 'the stinky poo farm'.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one?

No, its not the heat that I have an issue with, its the summer cyclists. I'd happily ride with lorries, taxis and cars if these summer cyclists ceased to exist.

No, its not all summer cyclists, but those who have:
1. No understanding of the highway Code
2. No understanding of traffic lights
3. No common sense or courtesy

Just today one one commute, I am nearly taken out by a cyclist joinging the cycle superhighway from a side road on my right. He looked, saw me, then continued through the giveway lines and only avoided hitting me as a result of my taking avoiding action. According to him, its my fault because I should have stopped on the main cycle superhighway to let him join from the right. Apparently the giveway lines, and the fact he is joining from a side road are irrelevant. PS if he's reading this, my parents were married

Than at another set of traffic lights, I stopped when they turned red and was first in line. Not one, but six bumbling people on bikes proceed to ride around queueing traffic and stop in front of me, blocking my moving when the lights changed. They of course never moved because they had stopped infront of the lights, so couldn't see the lights had changed. Then when they did move, they all wobble and swerve so much its almost impossible to pass them at their 6 mph pace

Another set of lights, cyclist queing up 2 abreast ( width of lane heading our direction) and cycle lane turns right after lights, so pratt on bike ride up opposite side of cycle lane and swerves in from the right as cyclists at front of queue are turning right, causing an accident.

I can't wait for the clocks to go back

His, on the other hand were brother and sister:crazy:

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh I love it...so much less hassle and I use routes I wouldn't use in the rush hour.

Saying that I've got the rush hour crap next week.
Half term :okay:

Lonestar

Veteran
Not much I can do to modify the behaviour of others so at times when I know to expect more idiots on the road, I try to modify my own riding to mitigate the risks. Shouting rude words at them doesn't generally achieve much.

I did that today on the commute back...not at cyclists but two ignorant motorists....One I saw faffing about with her mobile while cutting left into me just past Blackfriars Bridge so a sort of close pass....Not malicious but just twattish while yapping to her passenger at the same time and the second a mini car van thingy blocking the pedestrian light crossing at Canning Town on the commute back,in a traffic jam with his light turning to red...so I called him an ahole.....

Not happy,I feel bad about it,now.

Wow just noticed strong headwind coming back and it was hot and I was very tired.

On the plus point I did give the cyclist a thankyou wave for waiting at the ped lights for me to pass (Greenway crossover) at the top of Upper Road between Canning town and Plaistow...so I'm not all bad

Last edited:
Top Bottom