I have my mind changed about helmets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I know there are lots of threads on "to wear or not to wear", that being the question, so this post is intended to start a squabble! (although it may anyway!
rolleyes.gif
)

I was watching one of those real-life A&E drama-emergency-car-crash-TV programs the other night and a cyclist was brought in all smashed up because some idiot cager had driven into him.

The windscreen was bullseyed and the guy's head was in a sorry state. The chap wasn't wearing a helmet and the surgeon said that if he had been wearing a helmet then his head injuries would have been far less extensive - the bullseye was his head hitting the windscreen. I know it's the car driver's fault, but it was the cyclist who ended up paying the price.

Normally, I don't wear a helmet but today I've dug it out from the bottom of my equipment box to wear on my commute this afternoon!

Gibbyent

For me the debate mainly comes down to,

if you substitute cyclist for pedestrian would you still wear a helmet for crossing the road?
the level of risk is very similar as are the consequences.

If I wanted to mitigate the risks of cycling I would be wearing a body protector and a proper helmet (horse riding or motor bike spring to mind)

Cycle helmets do not provide enough protection to be worth the cost or inconveniance of using them.

schlafsack

This is an argument from authority, the surgeon is good a fixing injuries and is not an expert in preventing them. It should not influence your decision to wear a helmet or not. There are better quality arguments from both sides.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I know there are lots of threads on "to wear or not to wear", that being the question, so this post is intended to start a squabble! (although it may anyway!
rolleyes.gif
)

I was watching one of those real-life A&E drama-emergency-car-crash-TV programs the other night and a cyclist was brought in all smashed up because some idiot cager had driven into him.

The windscreen was bullseyed and the guy's head was in a sorry state. The chap wasn't wearing a helmet and the surgeon said that if he had been wearing a helmet then his head injuries would have been far less extensive - the bullseye was his head hitting the windscreen. I know it's the car driver's fault, but it was the cyclist who ended up paying the price.

Normally, I don't wear a helmet but today I've dug it out from the bottom of my equipment box to wear on my commute this afternoon!

Yes.. it probably will. Well done.

J4CKO

Same as crossing the road ?

I rarely hit thirty plus mph on foot.

I have come off a bike as a kid and had concussion and left a good chunk of scalp on the floor, a bald scabby patch on the sid of your head is not a good look. I think they are generally a good idea, they arent perfect, the dont offer much protection but as someone who has had full on contact with concrete with my head I would have preffered to have been wearing a helmet as it wouldnt have been as hard an impact. One of the children at my kids school died as a result of his head hitting the krb during a fall from his bike, the coroner said a helmet would probably have saved his life.

http://menmedia.co.uk/wilmslowexpress/news/s/462207_coroners_cycle_helmet_warning_after_boy_dies

I wear one but its up to every other cyclist, I dont think it should be a law but I sometimes wonder whether some that dont wear one have turned it from not wanting to look dorky or have a sweaty head into a mantra and anti stance, there seems to be so much defensivness, if you dont want a bit of padding between your head and concrete if you happen to fall off, then thats up to you, I appreciate in ertain circumstances a helmet may actually make things worse but I think its probably, on balance still better than not using one, Like Airbags can kill or injure in certain accidents but as an average thy save lives.

I dont think they make you complacent either, falling off still hurts and can still kill or injure you, Eddie Stobarts finest can not be deflected by a plastic hat and neither can cars.

StuartG

slower but further
In all seriousness there are good evidence for wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet.

The source you quote is neither of these. Hence your reasoning is a tad worrying. Your incitement to start what is always an intense and important discussion is IMHO even more unhelpful. See, I'm being very polite ...

400bhp

Guru
the surgeon said that if he had been wearing a helmet then his head injuries would have been far less extensive

:whistle:

:popcorn:

Same as crossing the road ?

I rarely hit thirty plus mph on foot.

I have come off a bike as a kid and had concussion and left a good chunk of scalp on the floor, a bald scabby patch on the sid of your head is not a good look. I think they are generally a good idea, they arent perfect, the dont offer much protection but as someone who has had full on contact with concrete with my head I would have preffered to have been wearing a helmet as it wouldnt have been as hard an impact. One of the children at my kids school died as a result of his head hitting the krb during a fall from his bike, the coroner said a helmet would probably have saved his life.

http://menmedia.co.u..._after_boy_dies

How different is that from falling whilst walking and hitting your head on a kerb?

I know its a typical answer, but it shows a piont - someone fell and hit their head - there are so many places this could happen.

Also it doesnt seem that kid was doing 30 plus mph :biggrin:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, I normally keep out of helmet threads... but what the heck.... Of course it is a personal choice. My opinion, for what it is worth is this:

1. helmets are not magical, and I strongly believe they provide less protection than many people think.
2. having said that, they provide some protection (which is why I choose to wear one probably 99% of the time, except in really hot weather or when I'm just testing a bike quickly for 5 minutes on my local road where traffic is almost non-existent and very slow anyway)
3. often there is a disconnect between people who seem to be highly charged to declare others should wear a helmet (e.g. my wife's friend took me to task for not wearing a helmet. My response? Do you wear a helmet when you go downhill skiing? She did not!)
4. there's also the issue of drawing the line, which is different for every person -for example, and assuming appropriate types of helmets:

should you wear a helmet motorcycling? (for me, yes)
should you wear a helmet mountain biking (for me, yes)

now approaching the line:

should you wear a helmet riding on the road (for me, mostly yes, but I don't believe they have to be all the time)
should you wear a helmet when you are batting in cricket? (for me, it would depend on the bowler!)

crossing the line?

should you wear a helmet running? (for me no, but what if you are running and trip over? Or run on the pavement and have to cross the road where you are exposed to cars -a helmet offers some protection, yes?)
or should you wear a helmet crossing the road as a pedestrian (for me, no, but hey, they do offer some protection, right?)

The bottom line for me is that a suitable well designed helmet is going to offer some measure of protection. But so does a bullet proof vest if you are shot at, and an asbestos suit will also protect you against fire too -and don't forget a riot shield will offer you protection from an object thrown at you or something falling off a roof. Well, unless you happen to be shot in the head, be in a blast furnace or a car drops on your head from a multi-storey car park.....

You just have to make a personal choice that best mitigates the risks (goodness, you just can't eliminate all of them from life!) for you and your lifestyle. Me? I always wear a helmet off roading, and as I said, almost always wear a helmet when I ride on the road -again, as I said, I do think helmets offer some protection.

However, as long as it's legal, I'm not about to criticize or take to task people who choose to not do so -I figure they just have a different level of risk mitigation from me. And I respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom